new camchain tensioner diffrent?

malc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello again rebuilding my 81 engine ive got a new rear camchain tensioner slipper. the old one i took out had a hollow for the tensioner plunger to fit in the new one hasent is the old one worn from beeing over tightned ? or should the new one have a divit in it for the plunger to fit into many thanks cheers

Old one probably just worn. Not nessasarily from overtightening, just wear.
All the parts are not perfect. The sprockets are off center just a bit. the cam and crank not exactly straight, tight and loose links in the chain.
All these cause tight and loose spots in the chain. as these tight and loose spots pass the tensioner the plunger moves in and out. This happens weather the chain is to tight or too loose. This change of tension is constantly moveing the tensioner arm and the plunger. as these two parts move the arm being softer gets the wear.
Leo

only the early models 70-73 used the sprocket type adjuster, 74 and later used a slipper bar, my 74 has a indention for the adjuster plunger molded in to the slipper bar they may have done away with it on later models

Attachments

• S6300646.jpg
    S6300646.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 75
Back