New Cert

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After a grueling three days of riding in the rain, long days and hard work a great group of guys achieved their Advanced Rider Coach Certification. In the Detroit area we are fortunate to have a large range to run the classes where some exercises can reach 50 mph. I rode my 650 just because I wanted to see how it would perform. 3days of grueling work and nary a whine from her. The only issue was coming off the freeway from running 75mph and shutting her down she had a little oil puke out the breather lol. I guess there was too much pressure in the crankcase and it wasn’t slowly leveled off. A few times I kick started her just for affect and the response was great! everyone got a kick out of the kick! BACE264F-6A3E-458D-98BC-14D842682597.jpeg8FDCC01B-77DE-4BF8-ABE8-8533E45DFA0C.jpegEAA2B945-FBF6-43D4-A061-CE6455821DE7.jpeg

I love that kind of riding. I will find an empty parking lot with H-shaped markings and weave up the line through the markings. The width of the spaces forces a pretty tight radius. I took the first class, which did me at of good.

The teacher of my class was a retired policeman who played a policeman in the movie Rain Man. His line in the movie is "Get back in your car." :laugh2:

We did a lot of weaves and quick stops. Decreasing radius circles and switchbacks. On the smaller range it’s very hard work, on the larger range which is double the size the higher speeds made all the exercises so much fun! I do prefer teaching the more experienced riders over the beginners just because of The flow of the classes. E921C8F7-F276-44B4-98CA-935A93123D37.jpeg It was awesome Patience was in the graduation photo.

^Yes, I noticed that -- in a position of honor. One thing I thought was glaringly missing in the basic course was pulling out to the right or left from a stop, as trivial as it seems now. After the class I practiced that on my own for several days in a nearby lot and fell over more than once. I got the basics from a youtube video of a police pylon course with a good description of how to pull out. Start with the inside leg down, for one thing. One thing they covered but not enough was revving + dragging the rear + slipping the clutch. I got some refinements from a channel called Dr. Crash, or something similar, where he teaches you how to ride around at low speed on sidewalks... A very useful skill...

One of our exercises for the basic course is tight turns from a stop. Students are required to go both ways and it’s also on the skills test.

Is this MSF? I had the impression mine went strictly by the book, so maybe they've added to it since then.

Ah. Good. They're courses that everybody should take. Saved my life many times, for better or worse :)

I’ve always wanted to spend a weekend doing the advanced rider courses, seems like a win-win, likely learn some new skills and ride motorcycles, how can you go wrong with that. I did the basic safety course with my wife about 8 years ago when she was getting her license as she tends to have some social anxiety and wanted me to come with, ended up having a blast. Lot of crashes on that course, one poor lady did the famous drop the clutch too quick, bike shoots out and right hand holds on pinning the throttle down until you dump the machine. She ended up leaving after that due to injury.

We use the 3 strike rule to counsel students out unless they crash hard, most leave of their own volition after that though. Also during the skills test if the bike even touches the ground whether it’s a crash or just a drop it’s an automatic fail.

We use the 3 strike rule to counsel students out unless they crash hard, most leave of their own volition after that though. Also during the skills test if the bike even touches the ground whether it’s a crash or just a drop it’s an automatic fail.
As it should be. I don’t think I saw anyone crash more than twice and those who did crash hard or realized it wasn’t within their wheelhouse resigned voluntarily.

The maneuvering, especially low speed, definitely appeals to me though. I’ve watched a lot of the police rider seminar videos over the years and always found myself impressed with their level of control during the obstacle courses.

I try to ride a different bike for each demo(supplied motorcycles) to show the students it’s not the motorcycle which is a common excuse. A few times if they get nervous I’ll do the slow speed maneuvers and small u-turn box on my Ultra. Sometimes getting them to understand that the clutch is 99% of your slow speed control instead of using the throttle. The weakest link in motorcycle handling is behind the handlebar controls. (The rider)

I’ve always wanted to spend a weekend doing the advanced rider courses, seems like a win-win, likely learn some new skills and ride motorcycles, how can you go wrong with that. I did the basic safety course with my wife about 8 years ago when she was getting her license as she tends to have some social anxiety and wanted me to come with, ended up having a blast. Lot of crashes on that course, one poor lady did the famous drop the clutch too quick, bike shoots out and right hand holds on pinning the throttle down until you dump the machine. She ended up leaving after that due to injury.
The best thing about the ARC is it’s just skills practice. No final skills test so there is never any pressure. Ride your own ride, stay within your limits and have fun!

Due to the incredible # of students we run through the classes here(I’ve heard we are second only to L.A.) we have been chosen to roll out a new format for the BRC, BRC2 and 3WBRC called EP 1x11. There will be no formal classroom as everything will be online for that portion and to my understanding range time is changing to a one day thing vs 2 half days. I spent 5 hrs re-doing the course and have a meeting today to receive my updated range cards.. I guess I’ll have to see how it’s going to work but it just seems to me that all day will be hard on some students. I’ll definitely find out more this eve.

Are we able to learn to ride motorcycles because we learned to ride a bicycle as a kid? Or could an adult instantly ride a bicycle, it's just hard for kids? There was a girl in my class who said she'd never driven a car with a clutch, which I thought would make it hard for her, but probably most these days have never driven a car with a clutch. I think the the same girl said she never learned to ride a bicycle, but it was so long ago I can't remember for sure and it would seem hard to believe

We always say that 99% of learning to ride is what’s behind the handlebars. It’s more a mental thing. If you’re smart about it you can master the physical part. I’ve seen burly veteran riders have to dab a foot and a 5’4” female do a full lock turn on a tour bike. My favorite parts are always the low speed maneuvers.

Due to the incredible # of students we run through the classes here(I’ve heard we are second only to L.A.) we have been chosen to roll out a new format for the BRC, BRC2 and 3WBRC called EP 1x11. There will be no formal classroom as everything will be online for that portion and to my understanding range time is changing to a one day thing vs 2 half days. I spent 5 hrs re-doing the course and have a meeting today to receive my updated range cards.. I guess I’ll have to see how it’s going to work but it just seems to me that all day will be hard on some students. I’ll definitely find out more this eve.
It’ll be Intresting to see how the new format works but I agree it may be grueling for some to be in the saddle all day. How long is the one day course going to be now riding wise? I was watching some more police training and competition videos yesterday, might go out and buy some cones and work on some of those slow manuveur techniques at home.

The new course will be 11 hours including lunch and breaks. It’s hard enough on the coaches being out there for 12 hours or more. Supposedly it’s only going to run that way during the spring before it gets too warm. We are doing a model class the first or second week of Oct to see how it’s going to work.

Back