New electrical problem

engine22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was riding my 78 xs today and bike was running great, had been riding about half an hour when I pulled up to a stoplight and the bike just died. Went to start it and nothing, absolutely no response from the electrical system. Got it to start up twice with the kick start, but it immediately died both times. The battery appears to be good as new and fully charged, the fuse is intact, and I am stumped. I am no electrical wiz but it seems like I should be getting power to somewhere... right? Headlight, blinkers, tail light, brake lights, horn, no response from anything.

I recently replaced the left handlebar switch, but other than that nothing is new. If anyone can help, I just need to know where to start and would greatly appreciate it. I am terrible with electrical stuff but I have a voltmeter and am willing to learn, just dumb it down for me a little ;).

A few questions:

Were you able to eventually start the bike to get it home?
Did you replace or exchange the fuse (I assume you only have the one fuse)? Some times glass fuses look good, but can still be defective. Check the voltage of the battery?
Do you have access to a wiring diagram (if not there's one in the tech section)? A multimeter? Continuity tester? Circuit tester?
Have you double checked the installation of the now control to make sure everything is snug?

Battery has good voltage, I will try exchanging the fuse, it does look good but like you said it could still be defective. I was unable to get it running enough to drive it home I had to tow it. I do have a wiring diagram but I believe I only have a voltmeter. The control appears to be secure, but even if it wasn't, shouldn't I be getting power somewhere?

Thanks for the help

Wow just tried a new fuse and sure enough that was the problem. Sometimes the solution is just too obvious. Thanks for the help!

You'll be able to check continuity and circuits with your voltmeter. Also. did you check wiring at the battery, and the ground?
I'm not sure, but I think if your control isn't grounding properly it may effect those other circuits.

I just saw you solved it, Great.

Last edited:
Back