New engine blows head gasket

Quilty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think I already know the answer to this question but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.
I put my engine back together after replacing the cylinder sleeves and bearings in both the top and bottom end. I went through the heat cycles that we associate with a new build and retorqued. About 6 miles down the road on the first ride she overheats and the blows a head gasket what could cause this to happen??

After resleeving the cylinders, they need to be machined flat (skimmed). The head probably needs to be done, too. Then, the lengths of the 2 hollow alignment dowels need to be checked, so that they don't prevent head-to-cylinder headgasket compression.

Also, do a Google Custom Search on "leakless xs assembly". Note the headgasket sealing tricks that accommodate warped heads/cylinders...

Quilty, the overheating raises a red flag. I hate to suggest this, but did you lose compression and conclude that the loss was caused by a blown gasket rather than a holed piston?

@grizzld When I put it back together and ran through the heat cycles it was fine the I retorqued it after the next set of heat cycles it started to run v lean like there was an air leak somewhere. I couldn't find the leak and I overlooked the head gasket. I suspected that the heads weren't mating properly or faulty gasket. I know for sure that the barrels were flattened then skimmed by the engineer but I can't be certain that the head was. I assumed it was a given that it would be done aswell.
Interesting threads above and I'll look into the no leak thing thanks guys

Back