New exhaust system advice for 72 xs2

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stone Hands here and a new member. Love the site. I have restored a 72 xs2 and would like to replace out the stock exhaust system. I have seen the posts on the Bub 2 into 2 system. When I called them they said the system would fit my model year as they ship it. I like the look of the system but wanted to know if any one has the Bub 2 into 2 in use and were there any problems with the install. Thanks in advance.

Can I buy your mufflers if you're replacing the whole system? I have a '73 and I'd like to put stock mufflers on it instead of the tapered's that the previous owner put on there.

Let me know! and welcome to the club!

Will take me a few messages to get the hang of this so please bear with me. The stock mufflers I have look great and if I sell them I will for sure post them here. If I switch to the Bub's,, I will not have a need for them. The headers are very clean and in good shape also. Not a mark on them.

I have 3 bikes currently. A HD road glide, a Norton commando and the XS2 I am putting on the road. My first street bike was a 1972 650 and still owns my heart. I am guessing I will spend more time on my Yama than the other two combined.

Will take me a few messages to get the hang of this so please bear with me. The stock mufflers I have look great and if I sell them I will for sure post them here. If I switch to the Bub's,, I will not have a need for them. The headers are very clean and in good shape also. Not a mark on them.

Fair warning what I have heard about Bubs is that they are LOUD not rich toned, not mellow or deep, Hammer your ears LOUD. Gorden scott is the go to guy for XS650 exhaust. A wide open exhaust where you can hear the exhaust valve closing has an irritating pop pop pop noise.

Great advise and thanks. I love the sound of the stock system but want to let it exhale better. Anyone else hear anything on the sound of the Bub system? I go back to the old article from Cycle World and the original mods that mention the Bub system that was developed for the 650. I will be contacting Gorden Scott as well based on what I have read and heard. Thanks.

Back