New Fangled LED headlights

Perfecto DB.

That is a very good explanation and I'll be reading the Wikipedia post tonight.

It's good to have you back my friend. I really hope you have enjoyed your sojourn and are ready to "hit the bricks" again.

So.....when are we going to get that post with the details (parts list and how-to's) of your LED conversion of Stella?

ALL: I met Daniel in Phoenix in March 2017 - and what he has done with the lights on Stella, his '77D is amazing. It is a full LED conversion that has the functionality of a modern motorcycle including daytime running lights on the rear turn signals and 4-way flashers - but the entire bike looks OEM stock.

Pete

When talking LEDs, color temperature is really just that, color.

Lumens describe brightness, with the caveat that ratings are not accurate across brands and should be read as marketing statements.

Unconfirmed theory: Our eyes more easily adjust to different brightness levels when working in the warmer end of the spectrum. That's why stargazers use red flashlights to look at their star maps, it doesn't ruin their night vision. So, perhaps the use of a cooler (6000K) lamp would increase contrast making the fall-off out of the beam more extreme?

I also recall having read that cool light leads to faster eye fatigue and strain. I'd have to confirm that as well.

I don't know much of anything about degrees or lumens from lemons. But I do know the LED beats the oem unit hands down. This isn't guessing it is two years of coming home at midnight. It is also more visable to other drivers during day light. As gggGary mentioned once "it isn't hard to pick you out of the pack in my mirrors".
As far as wanting it to look more like a '70's bike with the "yellow" light or one that let's me see and be seen easier. . . I'll choose the latter. The same reason I added running/clearance lights. Does it look off the showroom floor stock? No but the only ones that know it doesn't are those that know the XS650.

If a person isn't adding an LED headlight especially with a stock charging system you are giving yourself the short end of the stick. imho.

My organization did a lot of research on older drivers and lighting - and we found that blue dash lighting (as found on VWs) is appreciably less effective for older drivers.

WR, with respect, that's my point. Color temp has nothing to do with brightness. Your LED headlamp is more effective because it is brighter (measured in lumens) than the original incandescent, not because it is cooler (measured in Kelvins).

By being aware of the color temps, one might find a LED replacement that is far brighter than the original incandescent and the proper color.

Marketing has led many to believe that bluer is brighter. That is not the case with LEDs. They can make them any color at any brightness.

When it comes time for it, I will upgrade my incandescent with an LED. Brighter for function's sake, but close to the same color for form's.

Pete, I have no doubt our eyes are happiest when dealing with warm colored light. We evolved around fires after all. Reds, oranges and yellows physically attract our visual attention further into our peripheral vision as well.

Plug and play off Amazon, delivered to the door $46.00. No bucket cutting or special wiring and it seems to accommodate the excessive mess in the bucket as well or better than the stock.
IMG_20170712_175311_162.jpg
IMG_20170712_175217_824.jpg

I have run one like it for two years. It is a "blue" light @ 6k lumens with 75 what's? IIRC. I like them especially for the cost. I started looking 8 - 10 years ago when Trucklight was the only supplier and the price was north of six hundred per. When the price dropped below a hundred I couldn't stand it anymore. Now the price makes them even more attractive. There is a picture or two that shows it installed at the 2016 Ozarks 650 Society Rally thread. You have to split the retainer rings and fit the rubber band. There is a designated top and bottom. Like mentioned it didn't seem as difficult to weave the wires around the sides of the bucket for room as the stock but that may be imagination. Installation was that easy. I run these bikes pretty hard and vibration hasn't been a problem
There is a black spot directly in front of the bike but after awhile it didn't bother me any more.
You can search e-bay or the interwebs for 7 inch daymaker led headlight to find them. Watch the wattage output though it varies.

Back