New French (blue) member

Throttle cable maybe? Rubbing on the side of the tank will do that fancy paint job a world of good, lol. Tach cable has "issues" too.

.Nice job. .....Whats the cable running along the tank on the left side

Thanks a lot, I did not notice this cable, but I guess it is necessary :) . I will see how it is possible to hide it.
According the rev counter cable, I unscrewed it and let it run behind the wiring harness.

It should run straight up along the frame tube, not have that big bulge or bend in it.

FdFmtAC.jpg

Yesterday, the weather was nice. Sunny with a light breeze, 21° C, excellent for a ride around home.
The bike starts perfectly, with a light kick after compression point (sorry for the translation).
I took my wife who appreciated the ride a lot.
Here is a picture and a link to explain the building behind the bike : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavillon_Baltard
I have some small works to do, but it rolls !
Cheers.
20210425_175545[1].jpg

Hi all,
A very long time since I did not write anything about my XS ;)
I encountered electrical problems and began to change the old battery.
But yesterday, after a 70 km ride, the bike stopped after the lights went down.
I had to call the assistance, because it was impossible to start the bike, or if yes, it stopped after a few seconds.
I had the bike trailed to home.
Hopefully, the failure occured 10 km from there.
The reason seems to be the alternator that does not do the job, so the battery is getting weak (it is a bit odd, because I drove 70 km before the voltage falled to 10.0 V).
One of the members of this forum advised me to change the alternator brushes as a priority, and I will do so.
But if one of the readers think the failure could be caused by the regulator or the rectifier, please feel free to tell !

PS : as a complementary clue, I would tell that last Friday (two days before the longer ride), I took the bike to meet a friend in Paris (10 km from home). I had no difficulty to start the bike by kicking, but at the time to drive back home, after a couple of beers :cheers: the bike did not want to start by kicking.
I tried to start with the button... and it worked...

Last edited:
There are service manuals on line

fex there
https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

Where fault finding manuals are found
If you have the stock mechanical regulator I would replace it to more modern things
Brushes should be inspected
As well as fuses and wire connections
But often the rotor is shorted or the stator please read in the service manual

The charging keeps the battery up but if the charging goes-- the battery still have power so you can ride
a while
home or to a shop . ..slowly emptying it .but you can often get home without lights on ..
which I have done at nights even

Many thanks Jan_P !
In fact, I have only one 16A fuse (a yellow plastic one).
I have the Haynes by me so I will check everything before ordering any parts.

@Jim has a rotor rewinding service, his thread details how to troubleshoot your charging system. Post #2 in that thread starts the process.
#1 Is Diagnose! Do NOT just start buying parts because some guy on the forum or facebook says it's this, or that.
Checking, replacing brushes a good idea, on a new to you bike, they are a wear item.
Charging SYSTEM, many parts to it, all need to be checked that they are working correctly. First understand how it works! Then; basic tools, a bit of time and a VOM (meter) are all that's needed to find then repair, replace the faulty item(s) connection(s) etc.

Last edited:
Hej Jan_P, thanks for your reply, I will do so.

Please post if not solved.
It can also be the regulator not letting through power.
Battery voltage appears correct more or less.I have had lower and startup.

Today is a new day.
So I made the slap test once again, with a very thin gauge and it worked!
So I cleaned the copper slips as well as I could (sand paper and brake cleaner).
Then I went to the rectifier and the connector was green from sulfate and one ot the pin is loose.
It can explain why the battery don't charge while running.
I can't post pictures using my smartphone. Don't know why.

Attachments

• 20210715_164308.jpg
    20210715_164308.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210715_164329.jpg
    20210715_164329.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210715_164336.jpg
    20210715_164336.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210715_164343.jpg
    20210715_164343.jpg