New fuel line Now carbs leak while parked HELP

lednewekim

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking around for a while and have gotten great tips.
My question is, I have a 1980 xs 650 g special 2 .The fuel line was cracked so I replaced with new line I also replaced the vacuum line now the carbs overflow out of the air boxes while parked, (left carb while on side stand and right while on center stand) where as they never leaked a drop before. I am Baffled by this any Ideas? Maybe I need to put in a shutoff valve?

Mike

pulling off the old line probably loosened up some crud which went into the carbs, clean carbs, check float levels, and put on fuel filters if you don't already have them

+1
Sounds like stuck float valves. Is there a lot of old crud in the fuel tank?
I have just relined my tank using some stuff called Por-15: a 3-stage process involving clean, prime and coat. Kit cost £35 here in UK, took me a couple of hours but was easy. Looks the business inside the tank now!
good luck

second thoughts ... sounds like you still have the vacuum petcock, is it set at the correct posistion? ON not PRI (Prime) which is only used to fill dry carbs, does it flow fuel in the ON posistion with the bike not running? pull the fuel line to find out, if it does flow without a vacuum you'll need a petcock repair kit or new petcock

second thoughts ... sounds like you still have the vacuum petcock, is it set at the correct posistion? ON not PRI (Prime) which is only used to fill dry carbs, does it flow fuel in the ON posistion with the bike not running? pull the fuel line to find out, if it does flow without a vacuum you'll need a petcock repair kit or new petcock

yep, slow steady drip when fuel line removed. I guess i will buy a repair kit and try that.
Thanks
Mike

yep, slow steady drip when fuel line removed. I guess i will buy a repair kit and try that.
Thanks
Mike

Well, before you do that, just drain the bowls and then let some fuel run through the bowls with the pet cock in the prime position. This will sometimes wash out whatever is caught in the float valve.

If the carbs did not leak before, the float valves are probably OK.

You can also try just removing the float valves, cleaning them off, and reinstalling in addition to running some fuel through the bowls.

On leaky petcocks, inside the petcock behind the lever part there is a rubber washer with four holes. Often the edges of the holes that get used get worn. Try flipping the washer to fresh holes or flipping it over to a fresh side. Fixed mine.
Leo

Back