New Fuel Line too Loose?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I decided it was past time to replace the old (could be original) dried out and cracked fuel line. I ordered the thin wall hose and wire clamps from Mike's. (BTW... they shipped super fast.) I had read good things about those two items. The hose is part 20-4010 and the clamps are 20-4017. I started installing them today, but have a question before I finish the job. I realize the lines aren't under pressure, but I have to get your input. I've never installed fuel line that slips on so easily. It easily rotates on the spigots with the clamps on. Is that OK? I'm used to wrestling with line that is really tight. One more thing. The protective springs will not fit over the hose. That's not a deal breaker for me. Does anyone have experience with these items on a stock 76 with stock carbs? Thanks!

I decided it was past time to replace the old (could be original) dried out and cracked fuel line. I ordered the thin wall hose and wire clamps from Mike's. (BTW... they shipped super fast.) I had read good things about those two items. The hose is part 20-4010 and the clamps are 20-4017. I started installing them today, but have a question before I finish the job. I realize the lines aren't under pressure, but I have to get your input. I've never installed fuel line that slips on so easily. It easily rotates on the spigots with the clamps on. Is that OK? I'm used to wrestling with line that is really tight. One more thing. The protective springs will not fit over the hose. That's not a deal breaker for me. Does anyone have experience with these items on a stock 76 with stock carbs? Thanks!

I use 3/16" fuel line, on my 78SE, because its a nice tight fit. I use clamps as an added precaution to leaks. Never had any leaks yet.

I also found 1/4" line to be too loose.

Edit: I buy the 3/16" fuel line at a local automotive store. its just general purpose automotive and trucks fuel line, not motorcycle fuel line.

Last edited:
Mike's seems to have changed their 20-4010 fuel line recently. It used to be a dead ringer for the original stuff and the stock protection springs did fit on it. Now it's fatter and although I haven't fitted any up yet, it wouldn't surprise me if the fit is off (loose). I want to like MikesXS and the support they give our 650 but the way they pull shit like this all the time makes it difficult. I had a jaw-dropping moment the other day when I looked up the K&N airbox replacement filter elements for the BS38s. These things are expensive, I know that, like $80 to $90 a pair. Mike's has them listed for $92 EACH. I hate to say it, but these guys are just plain crooks.

Mike's seems to have changed their 20-4010 fuel line recently. It used to be a dead ringer for the original stuff and the stock protection springs did fit on it. Now it's fatter and although I haven't fitted any up yet, it wouldn't surprise me if the fit is off (loose). I want to like MikesXS and the support they give our 650 but the way they pull shit like this all the time makes it difficult. I had a jaw-dropping moment the other day when I looked up the K&N airbox replacement filter elements for the BS38s. These things are expensive, I know that, like $80 to $90 a pair. Mike's has them listed for $92 EACH. I hate to say it, but these guys are just plain crooks.
indeed, but what are you gonna do if you need a tail light lens for a 71? no one else loves these bikes like us..
My 71 has fuel lines that seem a tad loose at the petcocks. I don't want to use hose clamps, I like the looks of the plier type clamp. safety first, I guesse.

Thanks, guys. 3/16th it is for me. I'm sure I can get some in town. I see that Mike's has 3/16th... perhaps I should have ordered that. But I thought what I was ordering was close to the original and what I needed as the description for the 3/16th said: "Fits: Keihin Flatslide PWK 32mm. XS Performance Carbs for XS650." My carbs are stock BS38.

I wonder if those new clamps I got will be too big. Even though the description says they fit the 1/4 and the 3/16th, I think they probably will be. But that also can be corrected with "in-town" parts. I try to spread the business around, shopping local, Mike's, and 650 Central. It sure would be a shame if Mike's went away as it appears to be a convenient source for our parts, as long as we shop carefully!

Off subject... but has anyone ever done a single carb conversion? No more syncing. And if done right, bottom end wouldn't suffer. But, there is the question of the custom manifold, etc.! I'll never do it due to limited abilities, resources, and pure laziness. Just curious.

Edit: Just looked at 650 Central. Seems the line they sell as "OEM" size is 1/4 as well. Hmmm... still going to buy in town. I want to see the hose this time!

Thanks for your input, folks!

Last edited:
Any good automotive store should sell 3/16" fuel line. Don't buy the type that has thick walls, as it wil be real bulky and difficult to use in the tight confines of the carbs/fuel filters.

The 3/16" I buy has thin walls, so its easy to use.

I called a local auto parts store. They have more than one type of 3/16th fuel hose in stock, including the Tygon that I've seen mentioned here. I was sure all along that I could get line and clamps locally, but wanted to purchase from Mike's to help maintain the XS650 support! I guess to avoid further delays or problems, I should source "non-XS650 specific" items locally.

Thanks all!

I don't know if tygon is dot approved but that is what I use on my xs650 I it works well very flexable at first but it does stiffen some after a year or two but remain usable.

I just picked up the yellow Tygon. Yes... it's extremely flexible! Nice stuff. Just hope the bike doesn't reject it due to that yellow color!! LOL. I do want to use Mike's clamps, which I see are too big for the Tygon. I'll just try cutting an inch section of the big Mike's stuff and run the Tygon through it where the clamp will be. That should do it. Thanks!

Back