new guy from chicago

PM me some contact info. I'm planning on heading down there from the north burbs. I'm about 20 min north of the city on 90/94. I won't be able to make it until later in the afternoon though probably.

Yo yo yo! Info sent. Oak! You change your mind yet? Let me know what's up as im still looking to ride up there with some locals.

Posted via Mobile

My back is starting to feel better so I think I'm going to make it. I'll be there even if I have to drive a car. Most likely I'll be showing up on my 650 or a CT70 (yes, 70cc). I actually one a trophy on mine last year. Check it out:

http://www.hellsbananas.com/archives/mods-vs-rockers-2010/72

Anyway, look for the guys that have yellow Hells Bananas shirts on and say what's up. I'll love to see your 650s!

Also, if anyone asks how you heard about the show and you honestly did from me, tell them HELLS BANANAS!

See you there,
Adam

Did anyone go to mods vs rockers? Ironsled, I called you while there but no answer...

Oak, didn't see anyone wearing hells banana shirts. And no one asked how I heard about it.

Pretty cool show. Thinking I may want to get a cafe now too...no xs650 out there really. I only saw about 2...one being mine. :)

I'm located in the city around lincoln park/boys town/wrigleyville. Getting my XS on Wedensday and am amazed he lack of places to get some welding done lol.

Re: Mods v Rockers - Yes, I was there, I got a grip of pictures I have to go through in Bridge/Raw before I post them. Saw maybe 4 650s there? I think only one that was hardtailed? I was surprised at how many CB450s were there, maybe 5 or 6, and only one CB350? Statistically that shouldn't happen. The friend I was with has a 450 project going (hard tail!) so we notice these things.

Re: My back - Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, better. I've been riding daily. Girlfriend has me doing some silly yoga poses that actually seem to be helping.

Re: Welding in Chicago - I'm selling two... three bikes today so that I can buy a TIG welder. I'll hook you up with whatever services you need once I get good. I can't begin to describe how excited I am about this. Last weekend I did some wire feet on a friend's 110v Miller and it turned out pretty bad... blew threw a bunch of spots, had to fill them, but shit it was fun! And now I have a new 2-1 muffler on my bike. I'll post some pics/vid of that, too, later this week.

got556 - I'm up in Lincoln Square, near Lawrence and Western. What year 650 did you get? What do you have planned for it?

Good to hear from some semi-locals.

Picking up an 83 Heritage. Runs for the most part and looks like the PO replaced a lot of the electrical parts. Says the petcock vaccuum may be failing which is flooding the carbs. I've got quite a bit planned for it. That's awesome that you're getting a welder. I will def. be hitting you up once you feel comfortable doing some welds on other peoples stuff. I try to be generous w/ the people that help me so maybe we can work something out. Right now I just want to get it running reliably and then worry about the build.

-2" to 3" drop on the seat
-Swapping spoked wheels to XS650 mag wheels
-Shorten rear fender to barely stick past the frame
-A two up style seat that goes along the seat rails and curves up resting halfway back on the fender
-Black drag bars
-Matte light blue on the tank and fenders
-Lower the forks an inch or two to give it a nice stance
-Fork gators
-Honda Rebel shocks/struts and move the upper mounts closer to the front
-Use stock exhaust and cut them right when they start angling back towards the rear
-Black header wrap the exhaust
-CRG lane splitter mirrors

Look fwd to meeting you once I get it all running and going. :)

Probably going to rent a UHaul van and toss it in the back and head back into the city. I don't feel comfortable riding it all the way back from Rockford if it's got a few issues. BTW I'm off Halsted and Wellington next to the Binny's between Halsted and Clark. :)

J bomb I was there sorry I missed your call! I never seen a 224 number from chicago. I got there early like 1230 and was rt on my way home when you called.

I didn't take my xs up there but I did park next to 2. Meet 1 of the guys not the other, he said he was a member here but didn't really post.

Only seen 1 hells banana but he looked determined to get to another location!

Overall good show glad I went but rocker box in milwaukee is about 8x the size of the chicago one.

Oak: What tig welder are you getting? I'm thinking about selling a few of my xs's to get the diversion 180. A friend of mine has it and I really like it, very expensive price tag tho!

Posted via Mobile

Re: Mods v Rockers - Yes, I was there, I got a grip of pictures I have to go through in Bridge/Raw before I post them. Saw maybe 4 650s there? I think only one that was hardtailed?
Good to hear from some semi-locals.

Hard tail mine?

MyXSDropSeat.jpg

jbomb00 - OK, there must have been more than one hardtail there :)

Look! A 650 took a trophy: "Best Vintage Japanese: 1980 Yamaha XS 650 : Marcel Nistor" Is that someone on the forum?

Ironsled77 - I'm looking for a Diversion 180 too. Hoping to find a used one, but no one seem to sell them. This one gets good reviews, but something tells me I should go with the tried and true Miller. I'm going to be a total beginner, but I hope to get my hands on something that will serve me for many years. That was probably me you saw in that shirt if he was holding a camera. Did you see the huge bike I was riding?

got55 - We will def keep in touch. It will prob be maybe a month before I find a welder, and way longer before I'm confident to weld something like a hardtail, but we can probably start knocking out non load bearing parts a bit sooner. Also, I might have some random parts you'll need during your build, and likewise. Flag me down if you see me riding around on my '73 TX, which you can see in the background of this picture:

KZ400-Crapfe2.jpg

- Adam

I've definitely been there done that with a knockoff welders. I'm done with all that I sold my old japanese mig welder and picked up the miller 211. Mig welding is so much easier but tig looks so nice. I've seen reviews on the eastwood and other makes.... but as you said I think the miller will last a lifetime. There is a diversion 165 on craigslist right now he wants 1100 dollars for it . Good deal he said it's brand new never even used it. I just know that I would regret not getting the 180. It was probably you that I seen but you were walking with your head down in a hurry so I didn't bother . Couple more weeks and I should be riding the xs again! Maybe we can all meet up sometime!

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, I saw that 165. I want the 180 b/c it does 110V. That's all I have right now. My plan, however, is to convince my landlord to go halves with me to wire the garage 220. It would be a value-add for his future renting process, not sure why he'd say no, but you know how landlords can be.

I've definitely been there done that with a knockoff welders. I'm done with all that I sold my old japanese mig welder and picked up the miller 211. Mig welding is so much easier but tig looks so nice. I've seen reviews on the eastwood and other makes.... but as you said I think the miller will last a lifetime. There is a diversion 165 on craigslist right now he wants 1100 dollars for it . Good deal he said it's brand new never even used it. I just know that I would regret not getting the 180. It was probably you that I seen but you were walking with your head down in a hurry so I didn't bother . Couple more weeks and I should be riding the xs again! Maybe we can all meet up sometime!

Posted via Mobile

I'm always down for a meetup. :bike:

Nope! Not me I need to sell the xs's I have first. I think im going to list 3 or 4 as a group sale just so I can get a new 180. If they don't sell ill just wait for next years tax return like I do with all major purchases. Last year was the hypertherm plasma and this year was the miller 211. That 180 is the worse machine I have ever used on 110. My buddy brought it to my house and we put the 220 to it and WOW what a difference. You can pretty much forget about doing aluminum with 110 also. I'm lucky enough to never have to deal with the landlord but if I did I would just put it in without asking!:shrug: if you are looking for someone to do it my buddy lives on the southside and he's a union electricians in chicago. He's laidoff like everyone is and he will do it for a good price!

Posted via Mobile

Good luck with the sale Iron. Well...picked up my XS today :) Stripping it down to the frame at the moment and going to kong the rear :).

Back