New guy from Denmark

Lasper01

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello from Copenhagen!!

First of all I would like to say thanks for all the great threads and knowledge in here! I have been wanting a XS for a long time and all your threads is good to read before buying a bike.
So.... Now, at the age of 31, I bought my first bike.. and its just the one I wanted: XS 650 D ('77). As far as I know its almost stock. The tank is new; with paint from a '81 (I guess), the sidecovers a ugly red. Think I'll paint them black or even better same as the tank..

100_1886.JPG

100_1882.JPG
Please don't look at the spokes :shrug:

When I got it, the speedo didn't work neither did the blinkers. Turned out to be a simple fix.. the glass pressed the needle so it couldn't move. I just opened it up and put a thin elastic band between the speedo and the glass.. that did the job.
And the blinkers just needed to change the lightbulps.. :)

100_1893.JPG
My dad helps :)

100_1894.JPG
The "selfcanceling" blinker.. not working..

100_1890.JPG
It starts and run fine.. So Im a happy man :bike: and can't wait for 1. of march.. :)

Things to do:

Check the svingarm bushes has been replaced
Check for tapered neck bearings if not I will put them in

Things to do after a season or so... By reading posts here I guess those are the stuff to focus on:

Pamco
PMA
Change the fusebox

There maybe come some questions as I go along, but this is it for now..

Lasse

Welcome aboard! Always glad to see new members. I think painting the sidecovers to match the tank would look great.

Welcome...I like the tank, the gold pinstripes with red look nice. It will be a better bike with the upgrades your doing. Good luck.

Thank you!
I also think the matching sidecovers would be best... and even better with the gold pinstripes as well... but Im not sure if possible to get the exact same color..

Maybe you will get lucky and find a decent pair when someone chops a bike and sell the covers, that is a factory color I believe.
If you just dont like the look you could always get a worn tank and paint it and the covers to match then wait for the covers to come up for sale. After that you can change the color with 2 sets of matching trim anytime you want.

Thats a really good idea! Before I got the bike I wanted to have a xs with british racing green like fancyketchup has with his scrambler.. But with my tank it would be stupid to mess with that paint..
With pickers idea I could buy a worn tank and paint the tank and sidecovers british racing green and put a dirt track handlebar on it :)

Thanks for the input!

Back