New Guy From Tulsa - Just Picked up a 72' XS650

KendallT

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, but I could not find an introductions area. Yesterday I picked up a 1972 XS. To be honest, up until a couple of weeks ago... I knew zero about XS650s (in fact, I'm not even sure what the correct model title is for the 72. Is it XS2, XS650 or are both correct?)

The guy that I bought it from only owned it for about a year. He stated that it ran fine when he parked it last year, but could not get it started this summer. When I got it home, for giggles, I tried to start it. Immediately it felt like it wanted to start. After about 20 or so kicks, it fired up. Excited, I ran off and picked up some Seafoam gas treatment and fresh gas...when I tried starting it again, it never would turn over and I ended up flooding the carbs (gas wound up in the airbox). There also appears to be a small gas leak coming from one of the fuel lines; hopefully, I'll be able to take a better look this evening when I have more time. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say my motorcycle wrenching abilities are a 3 (maybe 4 on a good day). My plan is to rebuild the carbs, replace the fuel lines, filters and go from there. Expect to see many question from me in the near future.

Here's a picture of the bike and my nephew right after we loaded it up. He was pretty proud to have gotten it loaded and tied down.

Cheers,
Kendall

1150847_10200394577571497_49326380_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to pick it up. I had committed to buying it, based only on a couple of pictures. The price was right, so I wasn't expecting too much... My jaw about hit the floor when I saw it in person. The tires look like original Sears bias ply tires...but they look brand new???? The individual I bought it from, didn't know when they were put on. Needless to say, very happy with the purchase.

Those tires may look nice, but if they're ancient, you probably should replace them before you ride. The same goes for the brake fluid. Put fresh DOT3 in the reservoir and pump it through until it runs clear. Of coarse, change the oil and check the sump screen while you're doing that. Most of us bring a bike home and find the sump screen failed. The last one I opened up had 6K miles on it and the screen had failed.

6156316809_f004cfb26b.jpg

That's a fine motorcycle and you're going to enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice. Tires are definitely getting swapped out. It looks like someone must have serviced the bike before selling it to the previous owner (states he put less than 200 miles on it). Oil looks fresh and plugs are new, but I do plan on servicing it regardless. I hate to admit it, but I don't even know what a sump screen is.... but I will definitely check it out (and google it). This is my fist "vintage" bike. Thanks again.

MMMMMm your in for some nice cruzin along Riverside Drive. Or any backroads cruzin'. These bike can do 65+mph, but they don't like it. 55 is where my '80 SG like it. Please don't take the sawall to your classic. She's way too good condition to be sliced and diced. Do a very thorough tune up and carb clean. Brake inspection and fluid flush. Check your electricals. Change your tires. Get ready for some nice rides and be the hit of the bike shows! A shop manual is the best tool in your box. It'll be the best $25 you ever spent on your ride. There's a free downloadable at biker.net and LOTS for help around here if you get stumped.

That XS2 looks REAL fine. Is it a repaint? If not just the paint is probably worth more than you paid for the bike.

Thanks guys. To be honest... the whole reason I started looking at XS650s is because of Brat Kit. However, after getting this bike I just don't think I could bring myself to hack it up. As of right now, I plan to get familiar with it and keep an eye out for a a project XS650 . Carb kits, oil filter and sump shield (along with a shop manual) are in the mail and should be here by this weekend. azman, sounds like you are familiar with Tulsa. Riverside is still a pretty nice little ride and we've go some pretty good day trip rides as long as you take the backroads. But I swear, Tulsa is the worst place I have ever ridden a motorcycle. No one freakin' sees you (even though they are looking right at you) and our highways are absolute crap.
gggGary - If I had to guess, the side covers have the original paint... but I think the tank has been repainted. There are a few hairline crack in the enamel, but it still looks really good. All electrical works and the only surface rust I can find are on the seat rail, shocks and exhaust.

Thanks again,
Kendall

I spent my first 19yrs there. Graduated from Nathan Hale SH (GO Rangers).

Thanks... filters and carb kit will be here today. With any luck I will be riding this weekend (around the block that is...until I get some new tires).

Back