New guy. HELP PLEASEEE

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I picked this bike up already bobbed. it's a one kick bike, and I looked it over and took it for a ride before i bought it. aside from some chain slap, which is no big deal, the bike is perfect and runs like a top. it's one of the more well known internet xs650's so i'm sure most of you have seen it around before.....

well, i took it for the first legit ride after getting it home yesterday and before i parked it i noticed some oil coming off the left case cover. i got nervous and started tracing it back, and then i found what looked to be a bad seal between the upper and lower head (if that makes sense? i'm still a little new to these motors)...

well anywho, i see a little hole filled with oil and i realize that there's a bolt missing there. i get all nervous and shit and start looking through my manual. i found a picture of the screw but i can't find a part number or even a name for it other than "the real engine bolt"...

Here's the picture - if anyone could tell me what this bolt is or even where to get it, i would be MUCH, MUUUUCH obliged...:

2011-04-22182722.jpg

That's one of the cylinder head bolts. Size is M6 x 35mm long. Torque is 7 ft/lbs. You could probably just get one at the hardware store. There should be a plain flat washer under it as well.

thanks! how bad is it that the bolt was missing? what could it mean for me in the future?

It's part of the head retaining set-up consisting of something like 15 bolts all over the top of the head. You should replace it or the head gasket may start leaking in that area. I think the original was partially threaded but I don't think that really matters - just having something in there is more important.

Welcome to the forum, maxwell. THAT is one good looking bike. I'm not a huge fan of the bobbers, but I really like that. Got any more pics?

Watch your torque specs, especially on that one. This idiot stripped that same bolt and had to tear the top end down to helicoil it. Hopefully that bolt was forgotten and not stripped out.

hey guys. i'll post more pics later. http://www.knucklebusterinc.com/features/2009/04/14/wallys-xs650-chopper/

but for now, you can peep some of those

so i got the bolt, and to be honest, i think who ever worked on it last sheered the damn thing straight off. i tried to get a toothpick in hole just to check, and i couldn't get anything in there more than a quarter of an inch. would there be a way to tap it without having to take half the motor apart? i'm in a little bit over my head, i think.

anyone have any suggestions?

sorry, i didn't read the responses first...

well if THAT'S the case, what would be the downside to just riding the bike the way it is for the season and then tearing it down for the winter, which i was going to do anyway?

if that's really REALLY not feasible, or if anything terribly bad could happen, is there anyone in new jersey who knows what their doing who might want to help a buddy out? I've got an endless supply of beer and pizza for whoever feels like coming down.

DO NOT DO THAT. A bolt extraction set would be a wise investment. You need to start learning somewhere. I want my bike to be up and running right now... Could I ride it as is, yes. Am I willing to risk it's overall future for something like that? NO.

Also, I would think it would have to have broken off deeper than a quarter inch if it were sheered off. More likely that someone over torqued it.

As a novice, you could have that repaired in a weekend. With experience, 1/2 day. I don't believe that you'ld have to disturb the cam and timing but you have to get the very top off....may be able to grab what's left of the bolt and back it out.
Where in my ancestral tromping grounds are you located?

Jimmie's got the fast fingers on this one....bolt extraction set? Yep.

i'm in Woodbridge. ::sigh:: annnnnd it begins.

well, i've had someone else recommend that i just try to back the bolt out too... but i just really don't want to pull half the motor apart to do it. but i guess i got a project on my hands now.

and again, not being sarcastic or anything, but what would ACTUALLY be the downside of just keeping track of my levels, wiping off the oil, and just making sure all the other bolts are ok for the season, and really taking care of this when i throw the big bore kit on over the winter?

North Jersey, eh? South Jersey here, across from Philly.
You'll be alright and amazed at the simplicity. Get a manual and sharpen your recall skills for reassembly. Watch when undoing the oil feed tube, use 2 wrenches..one to hold the base and the other to remove the coupler. Can't think of any other gotchas' at this time aside from the torque specs. Hopefully the bolt is less of a problem than getting the engine out and the top off.

and again, not being sarcastic or anything, but what would ACTUALLY be the downside of just keeping track of my levels, wiping off the oil, and just making sure all the other bolts are ok for the season, and really taking care of this when i throw the big bore kit on over the winter?

Mechanically, the engine was designed with that bolt for a reason. Aesthetically, without it it's half-assed.
Good luck.

Back