New guy. HELP PLEASEEE

It's ok. Every beginner goes through the same feeling. Or you can take it to a shop and they will charge you a couple bills to just remove the f'n bolt...

since i have to go so deep into it should i just get the big bore kit and start working on that with it?

if you can live with the small oil leak....ride the bile this session and over the winter pull the motor....thats looks like a hard spot to get too...There is a guy on this forum from south jeresy who works on these bike.. DADDYGCYCLES. seach his name....maybe he can help you out.

yeah, i know rich. he's a great guy. i haven't called him yet - i guess he should have been my first call lol

I went and looked too. Engine out of the bike and breather removed the bolt can be drilled and easy outed. you will need a long drill bit and you might have to weld a rod on an easy out to reach in there. to get the remains out. No guarrentee that just replacing the bolt will stop the leak, once a leak starts bolt tightening seldom stops it. I would torque the head bolts, ride it and see how bad the leak is. Let that be your guide as to how soon you have to go further. I would spray some pb blaster in the hole now and then to help keep the bolt remains from seizing (worse).

thanks for the advice everyone. i was told a right angle drill bit might be able to be used without taking the engine off the frame?

and i was also told that so long as i haven't blown a head gasket and no filings are in the oil (and, of course, that the leak isn't TOO bad) i should be ok.. one gentleman told me, and i quote, "It wouldn't be a chopper without an oil leak. Ride it, gauge it, keep an eye on it, and save the project for the winter."

i guess we'll see what happens.

Stuff some cotton in the hole and change it when needed, an XS diaper. No room for a right angle drill with the engine in the frame, I looked at that. When the time comes I would sure attempt a bolt extraction without a head tear down if the engine seems good otherwise. Simplified bike like that, a mechanic should have the engine out in an hour or so.

i was saying the same damn thing man. glad to know my head's in the right place... i was telling my buddy that i'd MUCH rather just take the motor out than take the top end off if i don't have to. a motor out is easy. that's a half day's worth of work, no matter how new to these bikes you are lol.

OK so i had a long talk with MAX and i was going to build one for him but i just am way too busy now and hopefully he can just get away with it for the season and then he wants a big bore kit anyway. But i did caution him the fact that a bolt is broke in there and for all you guys who have had these apart that bolt only goes in 1 1/4 and then it goes into the cam chain tensioner space . So if someone put the wrong bolt in there and broke into the cam chain area WHERE did the metal go and it has to be cracked because that bolt hole has no oil passage. So MAX is going to pull the oil pugs drain the oil and see if the magnet picked anything up. I had the same thing come into the shop and the knucklehead broke the complete bottom off and fell into the motor and the cam chain picked it up. That bolt and the two under the spark plugs are there for a reason and DON'T take a lot of foot pound pressure.
So it looks like he will be ok for now just leak a little oil and like all of us will have to learn how to work on a XS 650. If you own one you will WRENCH ONE!!!
Max is a good kid and bike came from BUFFLO NY very clean bike.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BIKE.

Thank you rich. i'll do my best before i have to take the bike down to you crying lol. i took it for a small ride today around the neighborhood. no leak. i'm going to drain the oil later and if nothin's wrong i'm just gonna sillicone it and leave it until the problem gets bigger. i was looking at new/used motors for these bikes, and even those are pretty cheap lol. i'm definitely not freaking out today as much as i was yesterday, that's for sure.

I'm with you daddy-O but it doesn't HAVE to be cracked, IMHO the major function of that bolt is to seal a thin section of head/gasket. a leak from inside the engine to the bolt hole and out the seam will do what he sees. I also agree that any drilling needs to be done carefully so you don't go through into the tensioner area but it's easy enough to remove the tensioner to be sure you aren't going too far during the operation.

Back