new guy here

Purcell

The new guy
Reaction score
Just want to say hello as I am new to the site. I'm currently building a 77 xs650 bobber. I joined so I am able to have all of you members help me along as thus is my first 650 build. Thanks. Have a good day.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 20150620_142417.jpg
    20150620_142417.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20150620_141233.jpg
    20150620_141233.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20150620_141226.jpg
    20150620_141226.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 69
Hi Purcell and welcome,
is that a modified propriatory hardtail or a scratch-build?
I wonder that you have extensively plate-reenforced the top and bottom of the seat tube but removed the headrace tube gussets.

Scratch build. And I will be welding in some head tube gussets, just have not got that far yet. Working from rear to front. Or trying at least. Trying new things as I go. It's heavier than a tc conversion, but I can say I did all myself.

Posted via Mobile

Plate bracket mounted today. So as far as I'm concerned, it's been a good day.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 20150624_111214.jpg
    20150624_111214.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150624_111227.jpg
    20150624_111227.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 50
welcome P. hardtail looks shorter than mine although it's probably about the same 0" stretch, sideways photo maybe makes it look shorter 'til I bend my neck lol. Did you work off from swing arm?

I set my swing arm into position then built a jig around it, was planning on fabbing a hardtail to the jig after taking the arm out but ended up sticking a hooptail from lowbrow in it cos I fell in love with it. Just filing some of the welds down now to smooth the tubes out cleanly.

Do ya have any bikes in mind for inspiration?

I have searched a few bikes to see what I liked, but it's mostly been me making cuts and welds to see what I like. Trying to find a way to mount rear fender brackets but so far don't like anything I've come up with. Just need a few more cold beers, and it will come to me. I want a one off totally custom built not bought. That's why I'm making most things.

Posted via Mobile

I'm same, not quite ready for fender making yet or seat for that matter. need to get my rear wheel cleaned, laced and painted first and put some rubber on. Have an idea for a unique fender I can make, don't wanna just buy one when I can make "something" for less, don't have the tools really to work sheet metal to copy one well enough so I'm being inventive with materials.

I used an 18ga trailer fender from Northern tool and cut it down and welded to fit the rear tire I'm planning to run.

Posted via Mobile

Been a while. I've been working Alot so not Alot of time spent on the guild. It's coming along though. Actually starting to look like a bike. Frame is mostly in primer and with a little body work will be ready for paint. Tank is done and ready for paint. Got the wheels on and almost ready for sandblast and powder coat. Homemade seat pan and springs. Need a few more used parts like carbs and risers for the bars, and it will be complete. I need to make one more mount for the rear caliper before I take the frame down and start the bodywork. Then I need to make pipes and forward controls. But slow and steady wins the race.

Back