New Guy with a question

Like every Japanese factory service manual I've ever read, the XS650 manual specifies a 4 year service life for rubber brake lines (go ahead, kids, tell us how your original lines work just fine for you). Braided stainless steel lines have no service life limit. It's your bike, your call. The rubber line from reservoir to MC will be a source of contamination if it isn't changed as well.

Last edited:
if that's clean I don't think I even want to know what some of the ones you've seen look like!
It's not so much clean as it is dry. There's always something leaking there, pushrod, countershaft, shifter, starter gears, and it's exposed and so close to the ground that it builds up 1/2" of oily crud. Like the underside of a leaking car.

Also is there a torque spec for the Brake caliper banjo? I just recently swapped to stainless lines and when I touched the connection last night it was a bit wet.!
There is, but it's for the original steel banjo. Practically all if not all the replacements mentioned these days have softer banjos, aluminum I assume. I had a time with mine but once it sealed it's stayed that way. In general, but not always, torque specs are the value just before the part would be expected to break or distort. You can find that point by feel sometimes. Copper washers vary in properties so if nothing works, try washers from some other source. The ones I bought originally were so soft you could bend them with your fingers. They would smush so bad you couldn't tighten anything on them.

Your MC bore doesn't look too bad to me. That discoloration at the end of the bore could just be remnants of the original factory finish. If it's smooth like you say, I'd give it a try like it is.

I don't recall ever hearing about guys changing the reservoir to MC feed line. It's just a feed or "flow" line, like a fuel line, not a pressure line like the brake line. It's not subjected to the same stresses and strains. I'd just run some fresh brake fluid through it to ensure it's flushed out and clean.

Even with all good seals under that left cover, it still gets all gunked up, mainly from chain lube fling off. I try to pull mine off every Spring and clean it. This is what I usually find, mostly just a big stripe of flung off chain lube on the cases. If I didn't clean it as often as I do, it would eventually get like you found yours .....

lvGuHOe.jpg

There's usually also a pretty big buildup of chain lube on the shift shaft protector, to the point that it does occasionally drip off the bottom. I don't think there's anything that can be done about that. That protector is always rubbing against and wiping lube off the chain as it spins. I get an occasional small spot on the ground under the bike from this but I've just learned to live with it. I know what it's from and I know it's not an actual oil leak.

After you clean everything up, lightly grease the exposed portion of the clutch pushrod. It's just plain steel and will rust if it gets wet before chain lube fling off has a chance to coat it again .....

yuhDJal.jpg

I don't recall ever hearing about guys changing the reservoir to MC feed line. It's just a feed or "flow" line, like a fuel line, not a pressure line like the brake line. It's not subjected to the same stresses and strains. I'd just run some fresh brake fluid through it to ensure it's flushed out and clean.

Those are the answer I was looking for, Thanks! And the pictures and description are super helpful as well! Being able to see an endpoint helps me set reasonable goals. I really do appreciate it!

ike every Japanese factory service manual I've ever read, the XS650 manual specifies a 4 year service life for rubber brake lines (go ahead,, kids, tell us how your original lines work just fine for you). Braided stainless steel lines have no service life limit. It's your bike, your call.

I've already ordered a stainless line to replace the old rubber line:thumbsup:.

Yeah I'd be carefully working that with 2000 grit. Kinda looks like someone has been in there before. Yes the reservoir line can be reused after you flush it with brake cleaner. sv650 010.JPG

You really can't beat original pads. They work very well and aren't that expensive. And you get more than just pads in the kit. You get various clips and other mounting stuff, and the special screw with the turned down tip for holding in the inside pad .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4K0-W0045-01-00.html

So I ordered this kit thinking it came with the the the screw and the spring clip that the pads push against. However it did not.:thumbsdown: Using the parts finder on their site the screw, spring clip and pads are grouped together under number 5 which matches this part#

Is this a product you've ordered and received those pieces included?

All I got were the pads which is good, but I need the spring clip as well, I unfortunately broke the guide tab on it:doh:

Edit: I got the wrong part#, I got 4k0-w0045-02-00. I don't know how because that part# is not even listed with the parts diagram were I know I chose the whole kit o_O. So looks like this brake project gets put on hold for another few days....

Last edited:
Fun fact: part 4k0-w0045-01-00 is no longer manufactured or sold, it has been replaced with part 4k0-w0045-02-00. Good ole boats.net does not tell you that when you use the product finder to order, it just automatically sends you the replacement part. The replacement only contains the pads...

I'm headed out to the local boneyard to try and scavenge the clip tomorrow.

Back