New Hardtail Chop Build...It's On

heypilch

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a couple HD's under my belt, but never done an XS before - but I came into a cool old (VIN #...485) hardtail frame kinda accidentally (long story). I was gonna sell it at a chop show that we have here in SoCal every month, but then my 12 year old son asked me if he & I could build it together so he could ride it to school when he gets old enough (bad ass). Couldn't say no to that. Besides, I always think it's pretty cool when an old bike gets a chance to come back to life and rolls down the road again.

I've posted a couple pictures of the frame here & there, but now all the pics will be in one place haha

So I picked up the frame from a guy in Utah that bought it a million years ago in the hopes of building it into a chop one day but never got around to it (sounds vaguely familiar...). The VIN is OLD and all the welds seem to be in good shape, but I'll be giving them all a good last look before it goes to powdercoat, as well as a few new welds here & there probably. May be able to keep the rear wheel and fender if I can cut/form it better, but that's probably going to be about it (will powdercoat it black as well I think). I've got a few spare HD tins laying around that I may mod to work. Forks are shot, top clamp is cracked & the front wheel is too small.
1970XS650Frame_zpsteqqgyyu.jpg

Finding a good motor in SoCal was a real b#tch, but I ended up finding one that was complete, a little rough, but all there.
20140408_110211_zpsqampstrp.jpg

Tore into the motor a little bit to give it a look. Looks OK, although there's a couple things so far that I'm going to need to replace for sure. Countershaft sprocket, clutch ramp, gaskets, etc. for starters. Gonna need carbs, exhaust & ignition ($$$, $$$ & $$$). I'm a little lost on the ignition side of things, but I'll figure it out. Probably just better to pull out what's already on the cam & replace it with a Pamco setup. Will be referring to Hugh's Handbuilt tutorial religiously (thanks for taking the time to write it up Hugh!)

More shiny bits to be installed, but it's coming along. I wish I could send it off to HHB for a rephase, but for now I'm gonna run it as is
20140412_142356_zps7sdje4ca.jpg

The plan is to do a springer front, but it seems like the more I try to figure it out the more complicated it is. It'd be easy if I was putting one on my Ironhead but not so easy for this chop:wtf:

Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

killer start man. springers are easy. just make it a harley frontend. most springers are built with harley in mind. you can fit them on these xs. depending on how early the frame is you may need a little stem work on a lathe. nothing a standard shop fee cant take care of. eyes glued. i wish i couldve rode a motorcycle to school. that kids is one lucky dude. you should buy a pos scooter at the end of the build and tell him you changed your mind and he gets the scooter instead.

killer start man. springers are easy. just make it a harley frontend. most springers are built with harley in mind. you can fit them on these xs. depending on how early the frame is you may need a little stem work on a lathe. nothing a standard shop fee cant take care of. eyes glued. i wish i couldve rode a motorcycle to school. that kids is one lucky dude. you should buy a pos scooter at the end of the build and tell him you changed your mind and he gets the scooter instead.

Haha - I'll give him this:
xs650bicycle_zps1ba4289b.jpg

Pulled my stator cover off today to check out the countershaft sprocket and noticed that my clutch ramp was pretty jammed up. Got a replacement on the way to swap it out completely. How does this get this bent/broken? Just repeated strain?
20140424_105247_zpsxes6utm0.jpg

Yesterday was a good day. I scored these two rebuilt carbs for $80 - best part of it was that the guy ended up only living 3 miles from my house! He's got a '78 that complete but in a million different pieces. Is there anything else you guys think I should get from him off that bike? Remember, I'm starting from scratch -

20140425_192000_zpsqmra6hb3.jpg

Pulled my stator cover off today to check out the countershaft sprocket and noticed that my clutch ramp was pretty jammed up. Got a replacement on the way to swap it out completely. How does this get this bent/broken? Just repeated strain?
20140424_105247_zpsxes6utm0.jpg

I have a worm body that's bent like that. Most likely threw a chain, previous owner probably just replaced the inner worm actuator. Might want to check in there for any other 'thrown chain' damage. ..

I have a worm body that's bent like that. Most likely threw a chain, previous owner probably just replaced the inner worm actuator. Might want to check in there for any other 'thrown chain' damage. ..

Will do, thanks. Other than a typically worn sprocket I didn't see anything but I'll take another look in there.

I was thinking about that but his "collection" takes up a lot of space in his garage and he's got more room than I do. What I meant was regarding the engine electrical components. What parts of the stock set up should I buy from him and what's best to replace for new? I'd like to see if I can get this motor to fire before I get it in the frame if I can.

So this is kind of like I'm talking to myself, but at the end of this thread I'm hoping to have a bad ass chop to show you all so I'll keep at it haha.

Picked up springer & a 21" wheel. Came with front caliper and axle - cool. I'm also gonna buy the pipes and ignition components from the guy I got the carbs from. A set of bars are sitting in my garage, but I'm not sure if they'll work - may be a little tall (10") but who knows. I kinda like they way I think they'd look on my Ironhead so they won't go to waste. Thinking about an alien tank, or maybe I'll keep looking for something vintage & out of the ordinary.

The 21" front tire may/may not work but it came with the springer so it's not like I bought it by itself & I can always sell/trade it at the chopper show we go to every month.

Right now, I'm thinking of doing a suicide shift but would wanna switch that back when my son starts riding it. Getting close to starting assy...

bummer dude. you should set up a list in the classified for what you want. people may be able to source what you need. i have a a handle and short cable for a suicide if you want it. pm me your number and i can send you some pictures. may have a few other items collecting dust. lets see the springer.

Springer is in route but it's a DNA. Here's a screenshot of the IG ad:

Screenshot_2014-04-28-18-21-25_zpsxf7mpehj.png

Not the prettiest but the deal was good. Missing the top clamp but that's an easy fix. I've got a couple offers on Ebay for the stock exhaust (only to use the headers), but I'll poke around and see what guys here have laying around -great idea.

Thanks.

Lucky kid you got there.:thumbsup:

That's what I keep telling HIM haha - thanks :) He's not a big kid but wants to play football. I told him that he could play but he'd ride the pine more than play because he's just not built like a football player...but ride this chop to school and he'll be giving the QB's girlfriend a ride home :bike::thumbsup:

I've got him sourcing parts and turning bolts now & again, so he's pulling his weight kinda. We're going to chopper shows together though, so that's pretty cool.

nice man, just being there says a lot. good work man! couple of upgrades to dress up that springer if you care to: http://www.threetwochoppers.com/WishboneKit.html also you have the 4 under (-4) springer, which i personally like the stance you get out of it, but depends on what direction the build is going. you never know about football, my first time playing ever was as a freshman and I played varsity. I was small, but quick. if he has the drive he could kick ass on the field and on the road.

It's cool that your spending time enjoying the shows with your kid!:thumbsup:
I spent some time with my son while I was finishing mine up. He really wanted to go for a ride on it,but mom would've killed us both!:D He still might get to ride something soon, something small first.

nice man, just being there says a lot. good work man! couple of upgrades to dress up that springer if you care to: http://www.threetwochoppers.com/WishboneKit.html you never know about football, my first time playing ever was as a freshman and I played varsity. I was small, but quick. if he has the drive he could kick ass on the field and on the road.

But if he got hurt playing football, he couldn't ride his bikes haha

IMG952312_zpseqiyml8s.jpg

nice man, just being there says a lot. good work man! couple of upgrades to dress up that springer if you care to: http://www.threetwochoppers.com/WishboneKit.html also you have the 4 under (-4) springer, which i personally like the stance you get out of it, but depends on what direction the build is going. you never know about football, my first time playing ever was as a freshman and I played varsity. I was small, but quick. if he has the drive he could kick ass on the field and on the road.

All over that wishbone kit Neanderthal, thanks for the head's up!!

I'd stay away from old electrics. Pamco in my opinion is way to go, and for the price some stock exhausts go for, it'd be better to just buy a dyi kit.
I think TC bros or Ardcore sells a DNA kit to easily use that springer.

Back