New Hardtail Chop Build...It's On

yeah or you can go to web site or bearing shop and buy trailer bearings for way cheaper, its all the same whether it has a "hd" or "xs" stamp on it. if you search the forum you should be able to find the numbers you need and get some cheap bearings.

that one below the wishbone is new, the "hoop". dig that one as well. either one of those kits will really make that front end look better.

yeah or you can go to web site or bearing shop and buy trailer bearings for way cheaper, its all the same whether it has a "hd" or "xs" stamp on it. if you search the forum you should be able to find the numbers you need and get some cheap bearings.

that one below the wishbone is new, the "hoop". dig that one as well. either one of those kits will really make that front end look better.

I agree. Both of em make a huge difference. Just found and old school twisted chrome sissy bar from a guy I know who was gonna throw it away! Score.

I'd stay away from old electrics. Pamco in my opinion is way to go, and for the price some stock exhausts go for, it'd be better to just buy a dyi kit.
I think TC bros or Ardcore sells a DNA kit to easily use that springer.

10 4 on the Pamco stuff. Better to do something right the first time. I've offered a guy 30 bucks for his complete exhaust. Hell, he was only asking 50 to begin with. Don't care about the chrome as long as they're not rotten/warped. I'm gonna wrap them anyway.

OK so it's been a little while since my last post, but another build got in the way. That's all finished so this one is back on.:thumbsup:

As I mentioned before, my son and I are building this together for him to ride when he gets a bit older. Being that this frame has been in Utah (and I live in SoCal), I gave up on the shipping companies (they all suck) and drove to UT to pick it up over the weekend. Long drive but it made for a good last minute road trip with my son that I hope he'll never forget. Finally, the two meet:

Drove up to UT spur of the moment on Friday and got there by 6pm. By 6am Sunday morning, we were back and this heap of a frame (although a pretty cool heap) was home. I started to chop off some of the strange bits that someone somewhere added here & there for whatever reason, as well as some of the bits I wouldn't need. Everything but the frame and rear wheel were shot & were sh*tcanned.
20140615_105144_zpss0nit6rt.jpg

I finally got the springer front on (mocked up) to see how it looked. I'll do a 21" Avon Speedmaster up front eventually. The rear fender/sissy bar was junk, but the front fender is useable so I'll chop it and make a rear fender out of it. The one off bars are from a Ironhead build a while back & I held on to them just in case. Glad I did, cause they're going to work just fine
20140615_121420_zpsgfea6qx5.jpg

Father's Day BBQ was quickly approaching & time to mess with this was running out for the day, but I managed to get a few other pieces mocked up to get a better idea of how this heap is going to look.

20140615_130947_zpspzowkni6.jpg

FWD controls are on the way & there's a bit of welding still to do (tabs, mounts, etc), but it's coming along. Since this is an old chop frame, a lot of the welds/joints are bondo'd they way they used to do it back in the day. I was originally going to blast all that off & powdercoat it, but I've come to like the smoothed out look so I'll redo to parts that I've ground off (for weld inspection) and paint the frame a durable matte black. Still have the Pamco stuff to pick up, but wiring on this bike is a bit of a mystery to me right now. Plenty of time to figure it out though because I'll tear this motor down when the frame is off to bodywork/paint. Any advice/opinions during this process are always welcome!!

I really like the tank, what brand is it?

I've bought this tank, as well as a couple of others from this Ebay seller. It's a great tank & the price is right. Petcock bung is all the way at the back so you don't waste any fuel. I also like the fact that he offers a "best offer"...offer. I've bought them for 140 before. Here's the link - he's always got 'em for sale & they're top notch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-PEANUT...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4100f22c&vxp=mtr

Build's coming along, but I've still got a lot left to do:
20140710_100245_zps3p6nb4ft.jpg

Have had to measure/weld/cuss at myself/cut it off/measure again/weld it again/cuss at myself again/etc., but it's coming together. Can someone out there PLEASE tell me what bearings I need for this DNA springer? I've bought some bearing that were supposed to fit...but don't. Would a new set of stock bearings work?

I've been looking at some threads here, trying to learn what I need to get the wiring done for this build. :eek:

As of right now, all I have is a motor. I'll run the elect. ignition and buy all that stuff from Mike's, but if I have a weak link in my skillset it's electrical (I have many weak spots but let's just focus on this one, OK? haha). I'm not ashamed to admit that wiring this thing up from scratch is pretty intimidating. :wtf:

This bike's going to end up like all my other chops - No electric start/speedo/turn signals/front brake light switch so I assumed the wiring would be pretty simple but the schematics I've seen make my head spin. If anyone wants to come over here and wire this thing up for me, that'd be great :laugh:

love that springer. building a bike with your son is unreal.my son and i built a xr75 when he was 8. today at 18 he is a pretty damm good mechanic.

'been a while, but I have been working on this chop. Almost to the point of tearing it all apart to blast/mold/paint the frame, but I need to make sure I get this DNA springer to fit in the xs neck. I've called Ardcore twice & emailed them a couple times but never hear back. Once I have that sorted out, I'll be ready to go

Back