New here, first project, old bike.

Asidun

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How's it going guys, I just bought a non-running 1975 XS off of craigslist.

The guy I bought it off of said that the original builder was on this forum and the bike was his avatar. After about an hour of looking around I found him, turns out I bought Royfisk's old bike.

Right now I have the bike semi broke down trying to figure out how the electrical works, or more accurately why it isn't working:banghead:

From what I can tell it looks much the same as when Royfisk had it. I think it's pretty cool and unique the way it's set up right now, so I don't aim to change an enormous amount about it (at least for now...). It's my first project bike so I look forward to harassing more knowledgeable members with my questions.

@Southerndime333 More like bloody. I went back to school a year and a half ago and kinda forgot about how working with metal = scabs.

@nj1639 Thanks for the tip in that direction. I posted on his thread about the bike here and he got in contact with me. Would be awesome to see if I can find an old build thread though...

@Spades I'll take a couple later today and post em up.

Clear tank.jpg

Pic as promised

The tank's not chromed, just stripped. I think I'm going to clear coat over the steel. I was going to patinate the tank with some gun blueing but I think it would make the bike look too much like a rat rod. Especially with the amount of spotty and peeling paint on the engine.

Motophile - Thanks man, I agree. I'm curious to see what it ends up looking like...:popcorn:

Ordered some goodies/necessities today. Pamco high output eic and carb rebuild kit off mikessx.com. From the state of the spark plugs the motor seems to be over rich. Hoping that this will get the bike running.

Hey, Asidun!

Bikes looking pretty clean now...as far as the parts you have coming I would say that she'll be running tip-top for you in no time at all. The spark plugs probably look they way they do from it not turning over...not bad at all for having her just a little over a week now. Keep up the good work man, and keep posting the pics. I'm glad to see that you went with the stripped tank, I always liked how it worked with the overall look of the bike. Good luck with the electrical, like I said the headlight worked only when the left turn signal was switched, and if you look at most of the connections that were spliced,they weren't done very well at all, invest in some good wire crimpers, and some quality heat shrink tubing/connectors. I would go through the whole thing from the headlight (Rats nest) back and check every connection, if it looks suspect replace it. It's a P.I.T.A. but well worth it in the long run. My hand still hurt's from doing that with my Ironhead last summer...lol...

@nj1639- Roy put an XS850 front end on it ( stem swap ) and had the forks extended 2" and internals done by 'Forking by Frank'.

Last edited:
Wassup Ironhead!

Thanks for the compliment on how the bike looks. It's amazing how just taking off the front fender, indicator lights, side covers, and changing the tank over to the stripped one clean up the look. Too bad I can't keep it that minimal and also legal...

I've got the wiring harness pulled right now. I'm debating wether to just fix whats broken or rebuild it from scratch. Electrical has never been a strong suit for me, too complicated and just seems alien. Getting a crash course now!

I'm still trying to figure out where this bike is headed visually. All of my inspirations have been LOW, and this bitch ain't that. I kinda like the potential of how it's set up though, so we will see how it evolves...

Hey;
Glad to see your hear, lots of really great advice and knowledge here, some that you don't even ask for...you know what they say about opinions...lol!!! I really like the look of it with that tank, I had some flat black side covers on it one time and it seemed to pull it together some, but I always thought that polished stainless plate style (fabricated) would be the shiznat... Did you find the wiring diagrams on here? If you have the patience, I would just build an all new one or buy one. I don't know what year that harness was from, I would say a '75 but can't be positive, I think the hand controls were from an '81,soooo. I've found that once you get going, electrical work gets easier, and a little boring...but well worth the effort. Like I said I did my sportster last year and I can't even begin to tell you how much it helped. I was amazed at the broken and split wires that were there. I started with just the regulator wire (again) and just kept going and going! I don't run signals or even a horn (wouldn't hear it anyway over the pipes). so It was liberating to get rid of a BUNCH of unnecessary, antique wires. All I run is a toggle switch for Hi/lo beam and my ignition is a car style turn-key start...easy peezy! I'm sure you'll do a great job too.

I really liked how the bike reminded me of something McQueen would have been beating on in the desert, it's got that old school look with the stripped tank. My buddy was talking about doing it up like a 'steam punk/ Mad Max' look if I would let him... probably get cut looking at it!

Whatever you direction you decide I'm sure it'll look great, and you'll have a shit load of fun getting it there. Remember EVERYBODY here are picture junkie's...keep posting!

Back