New here looking for some info

Drewlc77

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 79 xs that I converted to flat track a year or so ago. I have searched until my eyes were burning about front end conversions. I see pics and some of what has to be done but failing to find all the info I need.

What is the "easiest" modern fork interchange and what parts will I need? I would also like to keep the xs front wheel, no brake needed.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 163
I think what Lakeview is alluding to is that if you use the search function in the top right corner of the page and use the words "fork swap" or "fork upgrage" or "fork conversion" that you will find pages of information of what members have done in the past. There is a wealth of information on this forum but don't expect it to be spoon fed to you, especially on a topic with such a broad spectrum. There are may different routes that members have taken; GSXR, R6, TX750, Cognito Moto kits.... etc... etc... You may get more help if you are more specific as to what you are wanting exactly, rather than the easiest swap.

I think what Lakeview is alluding to is that if you use the search function in the top right corner of the page and use the words "fork swap" or "fork upgrage" or "fork conversion" that you will find pages of information of what members have done in the past. There is a wealth of information on this forum but don't expect it to be spoon fed to you, especially on a topic with such a broad spectrum. There are may different routes that members have taken; GSXR, R6, TX750, Cognito Moto kits.... etc... etc... You may get more help if you are more specific as to what you are wanting exactly, rather than the easiest swap.

Thanks, not looking to be spoon fed at all. I've read through many fork swap posts on here or on the internet but almost all are lacking info. I'm also not necessarily looking for "easy", just perhaps a writeup of a mostly direct swap with bearings and trimming. Figured I could just make my first post saying hi and maybe some direction.

On my 74 I swapped a 86 xj700. Used the entire front end so don't know about wheel bearings etc. The stem fit just fine with one set of xs650 bearings and xj bearings. I think xj on bottom and 650 on top. I think the early 80's xj600 used the same stem and would be a good swap.
Something to look at.

Thanks for the picture. I got the wrong impression from your first post, figured you were a time waster.
Any specifics about what you did?

It's an 06 gsxr 600 assembly with the cognito shaft, I spent more time machining wheel spacers than the install lol

Back