New kid in town

essexboydave

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All. First off I'd better admit to misleading you a bit as I'm not exactly a kid, I've had bikes constantly since 1973, but I am new here! Anyway I live in the UK and I've just picked up a 1980 XS650SE that's a bit of a mess as it's been left unused outside in the rain for the last couple of years. After putting some fresh gas in it and hooking it up to a working battery it fired up on the second kick though so I just have to do a few jobs to get it on the road. I reckon on riding it around for a month or so just to see how it is then rip it to pieces to start making it look pretty again :)

Hi Dave welcome to the site. A good place for the XS650 info.
You said your bike is 1980 SE SE would be a 78 special 80 would be SG. Just letting You know because the two years are a bit differant. Anyway welcome to all things XS650 :cheers:

Hi Dave welcome to the site. A good place for the XS650 info.
You said your bike is 1980 SE SE would be a 78 special 80 would be SG. Just letting You know because the two years are a bit differant. Anyway welcome to all things XS650 :cheers:

Cheers mate :) This is my first XS so I've got alot to learn about them, although I've had quite a few bikes along the way this is actually only my second Yamaha and the first was a 2-stroke water cooled twin-it was known as the RD250LC over here but I believe it had a different name over in the USA.

Alright Dave , a TOWIE eh?
A good(best) site this, theres also a gang of us Brits from here on here http://www.customxs650.com/index.php too .
BTW , I had a coupleve '80 SE's . Points ign. chrome grabrail not ally etc.

Cheers, I've tried signing up for customxs650.com but not managed to get in there yet. I have got the ally grab rail on mine at the moment but I have a feeling it'll be gone by next spring-along with a few other bits ;)

:)
I've tried signing up for customxs650.com but not managed to get in there yet.
, odd that:umm:
Sounds like an SG then(US Custom)the ugliest of the XS's , dump the seat & rail asap !:D

:), odd that:umm:
Sounds like an SG then(US Custom)the ugliest of the XS's , dump the seat & rail asap !:D

The whole bike is ugly at the mo since it's spent some years sat in my mates garden! That seat has deffo got to go, I did spot someone selling a sissy bar on customxs650 but since I still can't log in I can't talk to them about possibly buying it. It'd quite fit in with my plans for a very 70's style custom ;)

:), odd that:umm:
I'm with you on that, those alloy grab rails and the seats on the XS after '80 are ugly and make them look cheap.

Too bad you are across the pond, essex, I have a mint condition sissybar/luggage rack that even has locking storage in the pad on the bar. Bolts right on , was a dealer option when these things were new.

I'm with you on that, those alloy grab rails and the seats on the XS after '80 are ugly and make them look cheap.

Too bad you are across the pond, essex, I have a mint condition sissybar/luggage rack that even has locking storage in the pad on the bar. Bolts right on , was a dealer option when these things were new.

I don't think I've ever seen a sissy bar like that, maybe they weren't available over here. It's become a bit of a nightmare to bring stuff into the UK now, if it's not come from Europe then it just seems to be down to the mood of the customs man whether he lets it in for free, charges some import duty, or charges a helluva lot of import duty!!!!

Back