New Last Build Thread "maybe"

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I`ve spent the last couple of weeks trying to buy up a couple more Specials to cut up for a new build. Today I made 1 1/2" lowering slugs, shaved a set of fork lowers, Polished and reassembled with new seals and OSS top triple tree. 4" of travel with no preload. I did not cut the springs.:yikes: I`m going to try to use as much stuff that I have laying around from past builds. Next week I`ll order the correct speed rated tires and clip-on bars and some 1 1/8" DOM tubing and axle plates. Anyway I`ll start with these forks.:shrug:
DSCN1292-001.JPG
DSCN1293-001.JPG

Rule book says no front brake and no spun aluminum cover on front wheel.:( Front wheel must be vented. Spun aluminum cover on rear wheel allowed.
BTW Jim I`ll have to photograph the rules and send them to your email. I don`t have a scanner.

Rule book says no front brake and no spun aluminum cover on front wheel.:( Front wheel must be vented. Spun aluminum cover on rear wheel allowed.
BTW Jim I`ll have to photograph the rules and send them to your email. I don`t have a scanner.

Cool.

Does everybody use this little removeable stud trick when building a motor? Does that work on a stock frame?

No and yes. I've never used it but plan on it for any motor I build for myself from now on. I think it's brilliantly simple.... and simply brilliant.

Jus' parking this here.... :wink2:
Thanks Jim. Great info especially the clutch mods. :thumbsup: Sandblast! Who woulda thought. I just came in from the garage where I was contemplating the cost of building a frame jig and 1 1/8" dies for my tube bender. Outrageous considering I only have to make 4 bends total and just build 1 frame.:yikes: I need a $20,000 stimulus check yesterday.:shrug:

The metal for the frame jig is here so I need a table for it to sit on. I cobbled together this crude little bench this morning using only what wood I had here without going to the lumber yard. Basic 2X4 frame and legs and a birch top. I painted the frame and legs with a oil base gray and finished the top with brushing lacquer. The birch top had a nice pattern to it. I have trim for the edge of the top and I`ll use brass corners. I`ll probably put some metal leg glides and that`s all it`s getting out of me. (or at least till I think of something else). :shrug:
DSCN1306-001.JPGDSCN1307-001.JPGDSCN1305-001.JPGDSCN1309-001.JPGDSCN1311-001.JPGDSCN1312-001.JPGDSCN1313-001.JPGDSCN1317-001.JPGDSCN1314-001.JPG

Back