New member/ bike and some issues

dedoo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just registered here and thus new to this forum :)

My name is Danny and I'm from the Netherlands, so I apologize in advance for my weird english ...

I just purchased a 1980 xs650 and have never had one before although I did own a Yamaha FS1 in the old days. almost 30 years ago now lol. I'm 46 and I finally decided I wanted a motor and made a nice deal (I think) on this xs650.

xs650.png

The guy I bought this from received this as a trade and it has been finished about a month ago. Everything besides a few bits and bolts look completely new on this bike,

However, and these are my questions :)

1- It doesn't start easily. When cold I use the choke but I have to kick up to the point where I'm almost out of breath haha and that doesn't seem right lol

2- When I kick it it happened twice that the kickstarter kicked back extremely hard and hurt my ankle bad I assume this could be an ignition problem or am I just one of those newbies that doesn't use the kickstarter right? :shrug:

3- when I get it running it doesn't idle very well. I need to keep some gas on it for it to keep on running. I use the choke but it doesn't seem to idle faster when using it though, or at least not noticeable.

I'm pretty sure the carbs on it are bs34's so I can only use the idle screw to get it to idle a bit faster right?

bs34.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and hopefully you guys can give me a starting point or help a newbie on it's way.

Cheers,
Danny

Welcome dedoo. Nice looking bike and yes the carbs are BS34's.

Go to the "Tech menu", (top of the page in the orange bar), scroll down to "carburetors" and the first link in the first post is a Very good "Carb Guide" for the XS650. Euro BS34's have an adjustable jet needle, some more info on that in this link.

Thanks for your reply.

So you think its a carb/ jetting issue?

and the kickback when kickstarting is a newbie issue not finding TDC when kicking it? I hear a loud Plopping sound following with a PTSHH sound when that happens coming out of my carb inlets

Welcome to the site.
the idle screw is on the left carb where the throttle cable attaches.
I would check the timing too with the kick back might be a little to far advanced
The carbs probably need to be synced also.
Pull the spark plugs to see where you are at fuel wise. to rich or to lean.
You will need a manual these bikes need regular maintenance.
here is one you can download http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service main.html

Yeah I just pulled the plugs left has a nice chocolate color and the right one is pretty black. Is this a sync issue?

Read the "Carb Guide". First link in the first post HERE. This i s recognized as the best information on the BS38's and BS34's for tuning and troubleshooting carb issues.

Usually kickback is a timing issue maybe a little advanced. Could be Cam chain issues or Rockers arn't set right or timing is out.

Yeah I just pulled the plugs left has a nice chocolate color and the right one is pretty black. Is this a sync issue?

not a sync issue I would say.
probably running a bit rich.
wet black dry black?
post a pic of plugs.
Once you get it sorted out one or two kicks should get it started.
Did you check timing yet?
Do you know what ignition it has?

Back