New Member--first question

Jiles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 1980 XS650 Special a few weeks ago.
Bikes PO did some electrical work and had no idea what they were doing.

Now, my question---The rear turn signals have double filament bulbs and PO cut one of the wires.
It is my assumption that turn signals would come on with brake light but I can't find any information in service manual pertaining to this.
Any help would be appreciated.

My best guess without a picture, You have FRONT Turn signals from some other bike 1157 bulbs.
The XS650 never came with running light - turn signals front or rear.
DOT: you cannot have amber lights lit at the rear while driving.
An 1157 bulb is like the one used for the tail brake light, one dim, one bright element
So the cut wires would have been joined and connected to the head/tail lighting circuit. If the turn signals have a red lens. For the XS and most other motorcycles after 1976 the turn signals are amber. Prior to 1976 red turn signals were used on the XS.
Some background here. https://www.acarplace.com/2018/01/index/
I've been on an unsuccessful search for decent size/looking front and rear LED running light, turn signals white/amber front, red/amber rear. I have a set on madness but they are too small, got bitching from guys not seeing them when on group rides. Maybe I need to find younger riding buddies!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.
I agree about not having running lights but, I thought maybe the rear turn signals would light with brake light, not running lights ?
I will try to post photos but rear turn signals look same as front--What would be the purpose of double filament bulbs?

Extra brake lights on the rear would be nice to have, out in traffic.You could wire the brake light to the turn signal bulbs with a pair of diodes, to allow the signals to work normally. Extra rear-mounted running lights would be good too, if you find some red lenses. Some state laws require the turn signal to keep blinking when the brakes are applied, it's best to check first.

Here are a few photos---
YAMAHA XS650 002.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 015.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 012.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 009.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 005.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you can't wire those turn signals to your brake light because they are orange. You have front turn signals on the back of your bike. You can still use them on the back, but only for turn signals. Wire both hot wires of each turn signal to the turn signal wiring, or, connect only one of the wires to your turn signal wiring. If you only use one hot wire per signal one bulb filament will be brighter than the other, decide which filament you want to use.

Scott

You could also convert those rear turn signals to be used with a single filament bulb by changing the bulb socket, available at most auto stores. Might have to solder on a ground wire if you want to do this.

Scott

OR you can buy dual color red amber LED 1157 bulbs or LED boards with an 1157 bulb base. This is pretty cool but I haven't done it. Do a quick search, most of these are made for Harleys....
caveat you will have to change your flasher to an LED compatible one. LOTS of advantages to going LED...

I can tell just by looking at them that those are not original signals. They are similar but not an exact match. The stalks are different as well. 650 signals are rubber mounted into grommets on the frame. Yours appear to be solid mounted to it.

I can tell just by looking at them that those are not original signals. They are similar but not an exact match. The stalks are different as well. 650 signals are rubber mounted into grommets on the frame. Yours appear to be solid mounted to it.
Just makes me wonder what they were originally on and what their purpose was.

Stock turn signals on the XS650 were the same. They all used a single element bulb. I do have a set of after market turns that loo like stock but use two element bulbs. I have them hooked up as running lights and turns. On the rear I might try using diodes to run them as brake lights too. Just haven't yet.
I might get another set of stock turns to put on the rear just to be sure the wiring works, Then figure out the changes.
Leo

I think these lights are the same units I bought for my XsP project..off the net.... they have 1157blubs.. dual wire.... (plus ground)… the wire ends are smaller then stock Yamaha....I want'd 1157 so that the non-signal filament could be used with the pursuit lights.

I used K&S brand aftermarket turn signals, a little work with a drill and the original rear rubber mounts can be used. My stock fork ears were junk so the front ones are used to hold the headlight in a set of aftermarket headlight ears. Time will tell if the front bulb filaments
DSCF0453.JPG
DSCF0454.JPG
will get along with the vibration. The front pair have twin filament sockets and are wired for running lights. the rear ones are single filament, turn signal only.

Last edited:
I used K&S brand aftermarket turn signals, a little work with a drill and the original rear rubber mounts can be used. My stock fork ears were junk so the front ones are used to hold the headlight in a set of aftermarket headlight ears. Time will tell if the front bulb filamentsView attachment 138919 View attachment 138920 will get along with the vibration. The front pair have twin filament sockets and are wired for running lights. the rear ones are single filament, turn signal only.

Hey - those look very smart indeed!

Me likey.

Pete

If anyone wants to make their stock lights running lights, just use a relay to wire them so they're normally on and flash OFF when when they would normally flash on. With LED might not use too much power. Don't know. Would need red lenses for the rear per Gary's advice. Probably easy enough to find a lens

Last edited:
Back