New member from Europe (France)

Higgins

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Congratulation for your friendly forum and their skilled members, I already learned a lot about the 650XS.
I want to appologize for my basic english and please feel free to correct me when needed.
I am 53 and i allways rided bikes since 14. I am lucky to have a tiny workshop at home to take care ok my three bikes. I bought a 650 SE one month ago (not running). After a deep ckeck and some shopping at our european shop Heiden Tuning (exhaust, scavenge and paper oil filter/cooler, air filters), oil change, brakes check, new tiny battery new spark plugs and coils with a transistor ignition, the bike is OK. I have around of 180 miles on it and it runs smoothly now and start at first kick attempt (of course the electric starter failed).
As the summer season is comming i plan to keep the bike stock for the moment for the next 5 months and i will proceed to complete disassembly during the winter and probably rebuild it with an old school street tracker look i have already a 18 inch rear cast wheel.
Here are some pictures of the fleet :
1980 XS 650SE

My workhorse 1991 TDM 3VD (77thou miles)

My rebuilt 1989 XT 250 (56thou miles)

I thank you in advance for the good infos i can get here.
Regards
Higgins

Last edited:
Bienvenue;

Your english is very good. Good to see someone from France joining the site here. We need more european members.

I believe your bike is a SG model , not SE. I have a 1978 and its a SE model. Your bike looks to be in very good condition. Since you have one kick starting, you must have it tuned quite well.

I looked up Ales on Google maps. You are in a beautiful part of France. I visited your area in 2010. I stayed in St Remy-de-Provence, but visited Avignon and Pont du Gard.

Bonne chance avec votre moto!

Hello,
@ Retiredgentleman thanks for your welcome message, I am proud you know the place i live !
i know i am lucky. I had a doubt about SG or SH model as in our country there is only one custom model called 3L1. I see on your bike your single front disk is LH ??
Thanks for the published caliper adaptor drawings that's a good trick and here it is easy to find second hand brembos.
@ Wesmoon the mufflers are here http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/2291/mo74-cg|26=2/#07-0114-xs-performance-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler
i think mike XS has the same P/N http://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0114.html
The pipes are stock i cut the original rusted mufflers. I had to weld the inner and outer tubes ends together and the vent holes at the pipe/muffler junction as well to prevent exhaust gas blowing between the two tubes. I also reused the original brackets.
Regards
Higgins

Last edited:
Higgins;

Yes, the Brembo calipers are a great addition to these bikes. I like to help out my fellow bikers, so that's why I put pictures of the adapters in my album. My front disc was originally on the right side, but when I changed over to Brembo calipers, I moved the front disc to the left side.

Hey Higgins, good to see another european member! I go to southern France and the French alpes in july. I am planning to ride to the Stella Alpina rally just over the border in Italy. Nice XS, have fun with it!

Hello speedthriller, (i like your avatar ;-))
Thanks, despite i was living in southern Alps (Nice) during 8 years i did not know this Stella Alpina Rally, the area is fantastic but at this altitude you may have some extreme weather conditions even in summer. It's a long way from your home, enjoy yout trip and it would be nice if you can post some pics.
Ride safe.
Laurent

Joe Bar is the Bible over here :D (I don't know if the Americans know this comic) I heard about the Stella Alpina last winter and immediatly thought this would be really nice to do with the XS. I will post pics of course!

Back