New member from northern VT

AtoXS

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a long time just trying to learn as I'm about to start my xs chopper build. I'm a regular over at Chop Cult and go by Ato, but I figure I should actually introduce myself and start posting here and maybe start a build thread soon.
Here's the project, xs650 hardtail from 76 Fab, HHB PMA, PAMCO, hopefully a jockey with mids, kick only with bare minimum wiring and some shaved forks with a 21" dirt bike drum up front. I'm planning to do pretty much everything myself with the exception of hardtailing the frame, Eddie at 76 Fab is doing that since I don't have a TIG and I wouldn't trust my life with my skill level of welding. I'll probably try to do the paint for the tins myself as well, probably just some heavy flake and spray maxed over.
The bike I'm working with is a 1980 that sat in a field for who knows how long and I have no idea the last time the motor was run. I've got the engine in a stand and have done a compression test and got roughly 117 on each side after working a bit of pb buster in the valves. I'm yet to pull the oil filter or sump out which I will probably do tonight, but I figure if I don't see any metal in there and I can shift through all the gears I've probably got a runner. I've also got another engine that I can fall back on if this one is a problem, although I think the 1980 motor is the better one since it had the carbs and exhaust still attached to keep the elements out.
My biggest questions here are probably going to relate to this engine since that's all that will be original. Basically what are the bare minimum things I should do while on the stand before dropping it back into the frame, gaskets, cam chain guide, oil and sump filter, etc? Hopefully if I can get a good summer out of this motor the plan will be to do a full rebuild this winter on one of the motors with a 277 rephrase and a 750 bore.
Anyway there's my story, hopefully I'll have a build thread in the next few weeks to do more than just talk about what I'm going to do.
Adam

Welcome,and good luck with the build. This is supposed to be about having fun. I'm not sure if you will find any of this in the tech section but if you are in search of the right words to use when things don't go as planned,PM me. I have an entire vocabulary that I use just for working on these bikes!!!

Hey hey another XSer from VT!!
Sounds like you have big plans, if your going to tear into that engine here's what I did. Gaskets and copper washers,valve stem seals, cam chain, cam chain guide, check pistons and new rings, new style sump filter (the upgraded one), clean head and rocker box, check and lap valves. The bottom end on these bikes are really hardy so depending what you have in your oil you may be able to just do the top end. At least get the compression up a bit.

I actually started a build thread that I need to do some more updates to. I just starters messing with the engine last night. Check out the thread titled poor decisions, it will be up to date by tomorrow afternoon.

Back