New Member, looking for direction.

don't take a class....Thats kinda a dumb idea just fly by your pants. Maybe somebody mechanical inclined, has been around this kinda of stuff, and has friends to help him along. If you don't know anybody with alot of welding experience and can show you what to and not to do I would take a class. A good welding class will give you at least basic knowledge and you will come out of the class with better welding skills right off than someone had when they just started welding.

A welder would be nice, and i've actually had a welding class, back when i was taking autobody. I did all the shaving on my s10 when i had it(door handles, antenna, tailgate,roll pan, and mirrors) and i welded some exhaust on a bronco at the body shop i worked at.

I just dont know how comfortable i would be welding something structural after not welding in so long. But idk, i may try that out. I would like to do the Brat kit from visual impact.

One of the most common things i read about people getting discouraged about though, is cleaning up the frame. How hard could that be? Is it more than just grinding off excess brackets that you dont need anymore?

No need for a welding class, since David Bird has a kickass video for much cheaper, and its a damn good one at that....

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=869

MIG Welding Fundamentals with David Bird DVD
SKU: M-DVD-MIG
MIG Machine Overview
Fine Tune your Settings
Welding Steel
Types of Joints
Practice Methods
Filling Holes
Boxing Frame Rails
Motorcycle Mounts

"Whether you are new to MIG welding or are an experienced welder (or think you are!), David Bird is sure to teach you something new in this comprehensive MIG Welding Fundamentals DVD. With a 'through-the-hood' close-up view of the weld in progress, and all the information to get you on your way to being an ace welder, this DVD is all killer, no filler. Not only teaching you MIG welding, David takes it a step further and shows you some practical applications such as boxing a hot rod's frame rails and assorted types of welding used for fabricating mounts on a custom motorcycle frame."

This dvd is perfect if you are already welding or are thinking about learning to weld. We were unable to find any welding dvds available where you could actually see the weld bead in progress instead of just bright light. We were able to accomplish this feat, giving you unparalleled views of the weld bead, seeing exactly how it is controlled and manipulated for a beautiful, strong weld! MIG Welding Fundamentals is a Region 0 DVD and will play world-wide.
Our Price: $39.95

Im going to start saving now, and buying things as i need them, in order to be able to start when i can get a bike. I have a tattoo scheduled on the 25th, but other than that, every dime is going to go to the XS fund.

After everyone's input i think I'm going to get a welder and attempt to most things myself. Im going to try to keep up with a build thread as i go with detailed pictures, not to show off my work, but because i know i will have millions of questions.

I feel like i know enough people to get help where it is seriously needed, like probably the frame. Guys that probably have no knowledge of XS's really, but are excellent fabricators, and would be able to to make sure my fabrication would hold up and be safe.

As of now, i do not plan on hardtailing the bike. I love the bratstyle look, and am planning on going with the visual impact brat kit.

What would be a good style MIG to look for that would do all the things i would need on this bike, but would run on 120? As i will be working out of a garage or building I wont have a shop.

Thanks for all the input fellas, Im already obsessed with this stuff, and have been obsessed for a while, and i dont even have a bike yet. I cannot wait to get this thing started.

I would NOT buy a 120 welder. Even if you have to have a 220 outlet installed, you'll be so much happier with a 175 or 180 MIG. I have owned the 175 Lincoln MIG that you could buy at Lowes Home Improvement. It has lasted well over 13 years, welded mutliple race car chassis, tube chassis for rockcrawlers, axles, etc... I've beat the snot out of it, and all I've had to replace is the lead and consumeables. Lowes sells a Lincoln 180 MIG now that is nice as well for the money. If you have Washer and Dryer in your garage, you can use the dryer outlet to power it. And buy that David Bird Video, you won't be disappointed...

Back