New Member, with a project on my hands!!

busaboyn2o

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello people,
I just picked up a nice project for me to spend these winter months completing. I am no slouch in the garage or when it comes to motorcycles (former MMI graduate). However, the majority of my past has been spent with high HP crotch rockets.

I have always wanted a bobber and I was able to pick this one up at a STEAL of a price. However, I beleive the owner I purchased it from was a little misguided when he bought it (which was in project form at the time as well). No title, only a Bill O Sale (VIN is clean thankfully).

Anywho into the crazyness of what I have here... I do believe the engine is a later model than the 71 frame, however I am having trouble placing exactly what era/model XS it actually is. Secondly, the carbs were supposed to need to be rebuilt when I purchased it, only to take them apart and find NONE of the internal components of the carbs. What are my options for an upgrade? Anyone have anything for sale? Along with all of the bolts for BOTH side covers were missing. Anyone know where I can get those?

Next is the electrical. I am typically a wiz kid when it comes to electrical, so when I was told it needs all the wiring done, I didn't hesitate. As I began diging into the box of parts, I came across a Reg/Rect, a dual lead ignition coil, and a CDI box (which again begs the question WTF year do I have here?

I can tell there are some serious people on this site, and I look forward to a nice long history with you guys. Hopefully I can supply some guidance in the future as well.

Sorry for the long post, don't beat me up too bad! :doh:

First, in order to find out what year the motor is you need to find the serial number located on the front/right side of the front motor mount and look it up here.

Second, sometimes the carbs for these old bikes can be hard to find and rather expensive when you do find them. A swap that I did after getting inspiration from another thread here was using the carbs from a 2004 Kawasaki EX500 with some considerable jetting changes, but you can find the details starting in post #63 of my build thread.

As far as the ignition goes do you have the charging sytem and cover? If it is a later tci ignition your charging rotor will have a magnet in it and the stator will have a pick up on it. You can find pics on here but I am too lazy to try and find them.

Pics of what you are working with will help everybody on here help you.

I do have the charging system. Here is what I am working with... (Also note I do have a bunch of other items, but I stripped it down to start assesing what I am actually in need of. So not really sure how much help photo's will do until I start reassembly).

photo-2.jpg

Back