Geoffrey Straet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_3074.JPG
hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I'm from Brussels, Belgium. I have just acquired a XS650 E from 1978, Metallic Spruce green, US Model. Thanks for adding me!
Already a quick question: I've been hearing about the 447 and 1h1 and other models. I believe 78 was a transition year so I'm not sure which model is mine. My vin is 2F0004826, is it a 447 or a 1h1?
Thanks!
Geoffrey

447 is the type of motor. Early bikes had a 256. Since yours is a 78, and it's a US bike, it should be a 447 motor.
Welcome to the site... and that's a damn nice lookin bike you have there!

Great looking 78 ! Idk about the 1h1 ? 447 I believe. Very stock looking ! Other than the rear turn signals. US models did come with only a single front disc on the right. Likely that that left disc was added as I believe the euro XS's did come with both. Post another nice pic of that bike up on its stand !

Thanks, I will post a few more pics later.
Started the bike today for the first time and it sound great! Can't wait to get my license plate to take it for a ride.
Hm, very practical question, there is no off position on the fuel tap. Should I leave it on PRI or RUN? It's leaking fuel through the left air filter, wasn't the case before I started the bike.
Thanks,

Do not leave it in the Prime position ! On is the correct position. (Vertical) you can test your vacuum petcocks by removing the carb drain plugs on the bottom of the carbs. 10mm heads. In the Prime position fuel runs freely. In the On or Res position the fuel flow should stop completely. -RT

Thanks, the bike didn't come with a user manual, I was not sure. I left them on PRI thinkng it was thr OFF position, rookie mistake I guess...

When Vacuum petcocks work correctly they are a fine advantage over conventional petcocks. You can carefully pry the vacuum tubes off the manifold pipes . Then actually confirm their function by leaving the carb drains out. Use a longer hose and actually suck the vacuum into the petcock . The gas flow while in "On" or "Res" position will flow or not thus confirming the petcock diaphrams are working properly. I am a fan of this 78/79 feature .

You can pull the fuel line at the petcock and replace with a longer tube running to a catch container, soda bottle, milk jug etc. to check for weeps.
Another downfall (imo) of the vacuum petcock is when the diaphragm fails gas will travel down the vacuum tube to the intake tract. There is a weep hole in the white spacer block of the petcock to warn of this IF it hasn't become blocked with dirt and grime.

Great look'n standard. Correct the rear signals and keep it stock. Did you have to make it European compliant ?. We sent a couple over and had to make the full right turn on the ignition ..parking light.. functional. Dual disc wasn't required and does it have the rear 32 tooth (Euro) sprocket ?.. I convert all of my XS units and recommend.. 32.
Have you had any dealings with Investment Bikes ?... Peer ?

Last edited:
Welcome to our little corner of the web! Nice looking ride you have there...

Welcome to the site - I’m sure you will learn a lot here and make some nice friends.

Pete

Thanks, I will post a few more pics later.
Started the bike today for the first time and it sound great! Can't wait to get my license plate to take it for a ride.
Hm, very practical question, there is no off position on the fuel tap. Should I leave it on PRI or RUN? It's leaking fuel through the left air filter, wasn't the case before I started the bike.
Thanks,

Hi Geoffrey and welcome,
your XS650 gas taps are vacuum-operated, when switched to ON or RES positions they are turned on automatically
once the engine starts and turn off automatically when the engine stops.
PRI (for prime) turns the gas on regardless.
As you have noticed, this can let fuel leak through the carb float shut-offs and sometimes into the engine to dilute the oil.
You can modify the gas taps to have a true OFF position by filing off the little nubbin on the taps' faceplates and cutting
the tap handle short enough to clear the tank as you turn the handle completely vertical.

Welcome Geoffery,

70-73 XS650 engines are Commonly called 256 engines. In the 74 production run they changed the internals of the engine and this is known as a 447 engine. This same configuration was used until the end of the production run in 83/4...........On some of the Commonly called 447 engines will be 2F0 or 3W6 depending on the model or country they are bound for, or 1H1 if from Europe, and this is the models code no.......

The Clutch basket, carbs, and ignition are the only things of any major change done to the engine set up between 74-83/4

From 78 the Standard, E, Has a different type of Vacuum operated petcock than the Special, 78SE, does. .............I have a 79 Tank and it has both types and looking at pics and brochures i have come up with this.

78E-79F 1.jpg 78E-79F 2.jpg 78E-79F 4.jpg 78E-79F 5a---Standard 78E.jpg 78E-79F 5b-----Standard 79F.jpg 78E-79F 6.jpg 78SE-79SF - 83SK 1.jpg 78SE-79SF - 83SK 2.jpg 78SE-79SF - 83SK 3.jpg Special 78SE.jpg Special 79SII copy.jpg Special 81H SII copy.jpg

Awesome petcock comparison with pics Skull .
Having owned two 78e bikes now and having Zero problems with the standard vacuum petcocks, I believe the standard vacuum petcocks to be superior. I simply recommend moving the lever slowly and only when needed.
I fully trust the vacuum petcocks which have proven to me that with the carb drains removed. There is no evidence of leakage in my history of both bikes.
Easy user friendly components. I leave them "On" -RT

Back