New motor or....fix this one

txbluecollar

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
New motor or build what I got. I have a 1980 that someone abused out in the rain with an open head. The complete topend is trash and needs new bore pistons cam valves the works. I tore down the bottom last night and found water in the motor. The tranny gears were surprisingly in good shape but the crank is questionable the forks are rusted clutches are rusted the oil pump gear looks to have some rust.
So my question is would yall dump a ton of money in a motor like this and have a killer like new screamer or better off saving some cash and time and by a new motor that needs alot less work and money

cheeper to get a new one (new to you ) there are some here and on ebay
I have one with good compression no elc.or carbs 350 + shipping it is an 80 or 81

New motor or build what I got. I have a 1980 that someone abused out in the rain with an open head. The complete topend is trash and needs new bore pistons cam valves the works. I tore down the bottom last night and found water in the motor. The tranny gears were surprisingly in good shape but the crank is questionable the forks are rusted clutches are rusted the oil pump gear looks to have some rust.
So my question is would yall dump a ton of money in a motor like this and have a killer like new screamer or better off saving some cash and time and by a new motor that needs alot less work and money
....................hi i,d strip it down /clean it completely ,,,and keep it as a spare ,,,buy a far better motor and put it in the bike sorry regards oldbiker

cheeper to get a new one (new to you ) there are some here and on ebay
I have one with good compression no elc.or carbs 350 + shipping it is an 80 or 81

I hate you guys over on the other side of the pond!! For $350 I'd be lucky to get the top half of an engine!!! CURSES!!!!:banghead:

Back on topic.....

Save up for a better one, unless you have a big pocket and a lot of ambition!

With water in the cases the crank bearings are almost certainly toast, game over.

Ya the more I think about it I want a new motor top end work alone is gonna cost me a fortune. I took some pics it looks like the crank and trans was the best thing left. Seems what ever wasnt soaked in oil got rust. Little rust on the gears but not the teeth. Ok so im in the market for a motor now. Im still kind of new to this as I had to put this project on the backburner for 2 yrs. Did the motors change any after 79? uploadfromtaptalk1398301464293.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301484088.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301497295.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301515692.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301531778.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301546481.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398301561365.jpg

Back