New noise! Can anyone help!

I didn't expect that ! I'm concerned now about the source of the noise I have in my crankcase :(

Thanks for updating 2M there is nothing more frustrating than an open ended thread about investigating an issue with no conclusion left

I didn't expect that ! I'm concerned now about the source of the noise I have in my crankcase :(

Thanks for updating 2M there is nothing more frustrating than an open ended thread about investigating an issue with no conclusion left
When I took the side cover off and peeked at the gear I decided it wasnt worth waiting till winter to repair it......to many chunks in the pan for my comfort!

The smaller 1st gearteeth on the mainshaft are also damaged. An integral part of the mainshaft, you'll need the whole mainshaft.

yamaha 306-17411-03-00

No longer available. But, you could acquire a transmission and/or parts off eBay. Be sure to get only 78-83 tranny parts (gearteeth have 2 marking notches)...

Great...I already ordered a set off ebay and now I do not think its the correct one.
I messaged the seller to verify compatibility but maybe he was wrong.....
My understanding was the shafts were the same but gears were different.
When I emailed the seller he said the gear set would work. Maybe he meant
if I swapped the entire gear set with my gear set.... Learning a lot more about the XS than I
intended to this quickly! I also ordered the Mikesxs 5 gear OD. SO i know I have to use my current gear set
for that to work.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, your guess is correct. Trannies with two hash marks on the gears differ from earlier versions in the spline pattern on both shaft and gears. It might have been corrected, but even with the compatible late shaft, users have reported problems with fitment on the high ratio 5th gear from Mike's, so you might be better off to use what you bought.

Yep, your guess is correct. Trannies with two hash marks on the gears differ from earlier versions in the spline pattern on both shaft and gears. It might have been corrected, but even with the compatible late shaft, users have reported problems with fitment on the high ratio 5th gear from Mike's, so you might be better off to use what you bought.
Iam a little confused. I thought the Mikes OD fitment issues were for the shafts without the hash marks and the shafts with hash marks were compatible.

Right, the high ratio gear is produced for late transmissions. Quality problems have been reported. I was suggesting that you might not want to use it.

Right, the high ratio gear is produced for late transmissions. Quality problems have been reported. I was suggesting that you might not want to use it.
I got ya now. I was reading the forum before drinking coffee.....
Iam so deep in this thing another $50 for a used shaft wont kill me.
I just ordered another gear set with the hash marked gears.....Anyone need a gear set
without hash marks.......

Last edited:
If you get stuck I may have a older trans complete. I would have to check they are all boxed up. Plus if I did have one with the two hash marks I would just swap you for the newer trans. I don't use Mikes 5th gears on any of my builds so it doesn't matter.

Back