New/old member here..

Pinging or pre-ignition due to the timing being too far advanced (worn advance) literally blows through or explodes through the piston top a little at a time. I think it would or could look like that.

Hello! I have a basket case... lol. can you suggest fair retailers for parts as needed in a cyl./top end rebuild? Thank you.

Saw your question in Jim's top end build up thread Mark.

Here's a start.

Link to another post about low cost Pistons supplied by Cruizinimage available on E-bay. Only available in 2nd and 4th over though.

Here's some other bits originally suggested to me by Guru 5twins.

Cam chain from here, or here.

Valve seals here.

This top end gasket kit SCM-XS2T listing has ended, but this kit SCM-XS1T would likely be the same. Others will chime in on that I'm sure, so wait for confirmation before you pull the trigger on that.

Unfortunately the only source we now have for the front and rear cam chain guide and tensioner assembly is MikesXS.

Couple of tools if you don't have them.

Cam Chain Riveter.

Valve Spring Compressor.

Good luck and have fun.

The head gasket in that XS1 gasket set won't fit properly on the later 447 heads/cylinders. The mating surface area between them is larger on the 447 motor, smaller (narrower) on the XS1. I wouldn't recommend that gasket set unless you had an XS1.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought 3 or 4 of them over the last few years, for future use. Cripes, a head gasket alone costs more than that whole set was selling for, lol. Granted, it didn't include valve guide seals, but that allowed you to get and use those Viton ones from eBay. And on the "plus" side, the head gasket matched the thickness of the original.

Welcome Harpo57. I posted a note in another thread a few minutes back where you had shown a photo of your pistons. I then discovered this thread of yours so deleted my comment. I asked if the hole was melted or was it a crunch due to a foreign object getting into the cylinder? The edges of the hole just seem too sharp/thick for melting. Also, did you clean the top of the piston or did it self-clean due to overheating? I pointed out the issue with the guide but I see this has already been thrashed out.

Best of luck.
Hi! Well I just got this pile of parts and not had the chance to evaluate it much.

Well, grab yourself a shop manual (downloadable for free) and start posting pictures and asked ng questions harpo - and you’ll get there.

Pinging or pre-ignition due to the timing being too far advanced (worn advance) literally blows through or explodes through the piston top a little at a time. I think it would or could look like that.

Hmm. A clue maybe. The seller did say he put a new point set in it when he got it, to help get it running. Then not long after, the failure....

Back