New/old member here..

harpo57

owner of basket case
Reaction score
Hi people! I'm Mark. I live in Spokane Wa. USA. I joined a couple of years ago. I finally acquired my first XS, a 79 special basket case. partially disassembled, burned hole in piston... So now I can be an active member! I look forward to seeking advice from the group. First order, fix engine! Any other members in Spokane Wa. area?

Hi people! I'm Mark. I live in Spokane Wa. USA. I joined a couple of years ago. I finally acquired my first XS, a 79 special basket case. partially disassembled, burned hole in piston... So now I can be an active member! I look forward to seeking advice from the group. First order, fix engine! Any other members in Spokane Wa. area?

Attachments

• received_715816965422050.jpeg
    received_715816965422050.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 97
Lean jetting might aggravate the mess, Gary, but I've only seen one XS650 motor with a holed piston that didn't show a worn timing governor with points set to the retard mark or a timing governor damaged because it came loose (and because the owner tried to "ride through" misfires and limp the bike home). Have a look under that right side ignition cover, harpo!

Lean jetting might aggravate the mess, Gary, but I've only seen one XS650 motor with a holed piston that didn't show a worn timing governor with points set to the retard mark or a timing governor damaged because it came loose (and because the owner tried to "ride through" misfires and limp the bike home). Have a look under that right side ignition cover, harpo!
Ah.... timing gov.... In one of the part box's I hope.... or its hanging off the harness. seller said they replaced point set.... bad timing could be cause of damage huh?

Anybody else see his front guide?

Oooooohhhhhh....yahhhhhhh.

Harpo57 - your front timing chain guide has completely failed. There should be a plastic component bonded to that metal “shoe” - and so I would take a good look down into the sump and the area between the two cylinders for a chunk of plastic. (See photo below).

6B8E224F-38BB-4819-9ECB-8E025F8387A1.jpeg

My guide failed in exactly the same way about 3 weeks ago (see thread entitled “Lucille pulls another one on me”). That missing piece of plastic will affect cam timing and therefore ignition timing. Would it be enough to burn a hole in a piston....I don’t know, but it sure wouldn’t help.

Anyhow - THAT, in addition to the piston itself needs to be addressed in your rebuild of the engine.

Yup, its a basket case project. I received it disassembled. Box's of parts to go thru and inspect. New parts to order. Plenty to learn! It did come with a repair manual. Not having disassembled it myself, a challenging puzzle to put together.

Welcome Harpo57. I posted a note in another thread a few minutes back where you had shown a photo of your pistons. I then discovered this thread of yours so deleted my comment. I asked if the hole was melted or was it a crunch due to a foreign object getting into the cylinder? The edges of the hole just seem too sharp/thick for melting. Also, did you clean the top of the piston or did it self-clean due to overheating? I pointed out the issue with the guide but I see this has already been thrashed out.

Best of luck.

Back