New member, new project (Atlanta)

Jessezm

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks, since I've posted a few WTB ads and a for sale ad I thought i'd go ahead and introduce myself! I recently purchased a (fairly) well preserved 1972 XS2, which is my 6th XS650 since I purchased my first bike in 1996 at the ripe old age of 17. The XS650 was my first love, and while I've had many other bikes (currently a CB400/4 and a CL450k6), I'll always have the softest spot for the 650 twin.

I love the red/white color scheme of the XS2, and I would definitely classify this one as an impulse buy. The price was right at $1,350, but once I got her home I ran into trouble. I purchased it running and the engine sounds strong with 7,600 miles. But I didn't notice two key things - a crack in one of the fender mounts on the fork leg, and hundreds of tiny pinholes in the gas tank!!!. I attempted to clean and line the tank but it's not going to work as a permanent fix I don't think. Once I got her home and running with fresh gas and a perfunctory carb and front brake overhaul , however, my maiden voyage around the block indicated some serious front end issues. That's what led me to the crack in the fender mount, and last night I pulled the whole bike apart and confirmed the problem: a bent RH fork.

The guy I bought it from told me he got it from a friend who had it sitting in a warehouse for years and years, only to get it running and get rid of it. I'm guessing what happened is he got it running, then ran straight into something and got rid of it after scaring the daylights out of himself. Anyways, I should have given it a closer inspection but it is what it is.

My plans were to give it a quick refresh and flip it for a few hundred more bucks, but plans change... Currently it's starting to feel like a full restoration to stock. Including having a professional paint a newly acquired tank, as well as the other tins. The frame and chrome are in remarkably good shape, but I'm replacing the exhaust with the XS2 replica set from Mike's XS. Anyways, this will probably turn into an expensive labor of love than I'll never want to sell, but there you have it. Here are pics of it as of yesterday, before and after disassembly. I'm looking forward to keeping this post updated with pics as I make progress.

So far the only other big issue I'm facing is a stubborn oil drain plug, but I've got a plan for that... I'm going to do bronze swing arm bushings and tapered head bearings, but otherwise I want to keep it stock.
IMG_1833 (1).JPG
IMG_1715 (1).JPG

Welcome to the Garage and the Forum.
I agree, you have a very nice bike, there. I would also do the full resto.
I'll follow your progress if you keep posting.

With one bike on my front porch and the other in my dining room already, I'm really wishing I had a garage right now!
The place where a man hangs his hat is his Home.
The place a man dismantles his bike is his Garage.
Yours just has fancy flooring.

I'm following. I love a good resto! Good for you for saving that nice old bike and keeping it original. '72 is my favorite year.
Good luck!

Welcome and happy building............those XS2 front ends are a one off, Fork lowers, hub and rotor and front guard stays cannot be interchanged with any other year. also if you did by chance decide to swap a 73, (the only year that looks the same but isn't), front end will swap straight in, visually the front won't look changed except to some one who knows.

Welcome and happy building............those XS2 front ends are a one off, Fork lowers, hub and rotor and front guard stays cannot be interchanged with any other year. also if you did by chance decide to swap a 73, (the only year that looks the same but isn't), front end will swap straight in, visually the front won't look changed except to some one who knows.

Yeah I learned the hard way and jumped on a pair of polished '73 lowers before I realized that... (which is why those are for sale now!) I found a NOS RH lower leg--the LH is fine--and then I bought a new set of tubes. The fender is in good shape but I'll need a new one to get it perfect, as it's warped and dinged a little from what I'm assuming was the collision... So I'm in the market for a '72 fender

Well, I would take the bent tube to someone with a good Hydrolic press and have them straighten it !
it must not be bent Much as you didn't notice it before... make sure they know not to scratch it and have straightened forks before (unlikely, but if the guy has an intimant knowledge of his press and uses it all the time he can get it as straight as an arrow!
although Most will tell you when in doubt REPLACE... but I straightened my own fork tubes that were so bent the tire was hitting the engine.... I did it with a jack between the fork of an oak tree.... both tubes ! they did not crack... I expected them too but they didn't
I told the guy that bought the bike off me years later about it and he wasn't concerned at all as it looked great.
..... having it straightened by a profesional would be far cheaper than trying to buy a replacement ....if you can find one
the only worry I can see is, if the slide binds in the bent area but that is not likely as they typically bend at the lower tree which is above the slide area....
...Just a thought you may want to explore !
Oh, and welcome to the Forum !
Bob........

Well, I would take the bent tube to someone with a good Hydrolic press and have them straighten it !
it must not be bent Much as you didn't notice it before... make sure they know not to scratch it and have straightened forks before (unlikely, but if the guy has an intimant knowledge of his press and uses it all the time he can get it as straight as an arrow!
although Most will tell you when in doubt REPLACE... but I straightened my own fork tubes that were so bent the tire was hitting the engine.... I did it with a jack between the fork of an oak tree.... both tubes ! they did not crack... I expected them too but they didn't
I told the guy that bought the bike off me years later about it and he wasn't concerned at all as it looked great.
..... having it straightened by a profesional would be far cheaper than trying to buy a replacement ....if you can find one
the only worry I can see is, if the slide binds in the bent area but that is not likely as they typically bend at the lower tree which is above the slide area....
...Just a thought you may want to explore !
Oh, and welcome to the Forum !
Bob........

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Both tubes are pretty ugly cosmetically, unfortunately, with a good bit of rust at the triple tree. So I went ahead and threw down for a new set, which are pretty reasonable at Mike's, all things considered. Oh well, it's just money :-/

Hay Money does you no good if you don't use it !..... perhaps that is why I am dirt poor ...I dunno ! LOL
c ya !
Bob..........

Back