New member, new project (Atlanta)

IMG_2035.JPG
Got a bit more work done yesterday. I got my new rear rim in the mail and a new set of SS spokes, and went to town cleaning up the hub and lacing it to the rim. Wasn't as tricky as I remember, but the hardest part is yet to come. I'm going to attempt to true it up tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 152
Strange, the browser won't let me edit that last post. It's detecting some malicious code in the edit page.

This is the missing pic showing the nipple holes and curved spokes:

JesseLacing02.jpg

Ah, yes, much better.
What threw me was this spoke:
View attachment 101228

I see some of your spokes have a curved exit from the rim nipple holes.

As though the rim's nipples were punched for a smaller spool hub, not for a larger drum hub. GggGary has a cool tool for re-angling nipple holes:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/lacing-mikes-2-5x18-rims-to-stock-hubs-w-ss-spokes.44710/

Ahhh, yes, little optical illusion there with the spoke hanging out... I was worried! But now I'm worried again! I thought I detected the slightest curve with some of the spokes, but it was so slight I thought it must be an optical illusion as well. But after reading through that thread, it's probably the cheap rim... I looked really hard for a NOS or reusable OEM 2.15X18" rim but ended up tying this steal Ebay one out. If the wheel trued up ok and any curving is barely noticeable - do you think this will pose a problem down the road?

Well, even tho' it ain't right, a lot of folks have gotten away with this for a long time. Aside from gettin' the holes aligned, all I can suggest is to do a spoke and tightness check at 500 miles...

Father's day was productive, and I had a little helper indulging me in a bit of motorcycle fun...
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG

Also, good news from my painter -- the rest of the tins are done and will be shipped back to me later this week! Boy they are RED!

123_1.jpeg

Excellent progress being made there Jesse, and that looks like my kind of Father's Day fun, good for you!
Can't wait to see this beautiful bike finished.

I do have one comment however as a US Postal employee, I can't help noticing that you are using Priority shipping boxes as coasters for your motor. Show a little respect there fella will ya? ;)
image.jpeg

On it! Just sanded down the ground at the rear engine mount and will do the one behind the tank as well. I asked the powder coater to mask it off but they forgot... they also left the rear shock bolts in and coated those, oh well!

Something in that picture looks familiar, something about that left lower leg. If you look at the little picture to the left of this page I think you will see it too!

Looking good!

Ken

All she needed was a little spit shine!

Made some real progress today. Got the front end sorted, exhaust installed (left side was a bear to get on fitment-wise--I had to use a ratchet strap to get the rear mounting hole to align), and some other odds and ends. Still waiting on a carb part before I can install those since I tweaked the throttle shaft, but here she is all mocked up. I hope to hear her run on the 4th of July.

IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG

Man you are fast! I really can't believe how fast you are getting this bike together! Looks incredible.

Back