New Owner Need ADVICE!

yamaworm

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

I just got my first XS650!! 1982 heritage special (black), she's a beauty! 11,000 miles.

I have had the bike for around a week now and put just over 100 miles on it, still cant get the bike running how I want it.

On the first ride I think my battery wasn't chargered enough (original battery from 82) causing the bike to put around a lot and the spark plugs to fowl.

After the plugs were changed and battery was charged I rode about 60 miles, Bike was riding pretty good just didn't want to idle.

Got a new AGM battery order and just put it in today and switched the fuses. Rode a mile bike dies and all the electrical goes out, Okay so I switch the fuses the bike puts around enough to get home. Get home plugs are fowled and completly black again.

Charge the battery fully, put in brand new plugs, and I try again, I also adjust the screw by the gas chord for the idle, I set the idle just under 1500 rpm.

Bike ran great for the first mile, then anytime the bike got under 5000 rpm it wanted to die, ran all the stop signs on the way home so the bike wouldn't die.

So any suggestions? This is my second bike, My first bike was a Honda rebel, I did all the routine maintenance on it but never had any real issues so I am a noob.

Thank you !!!!

The pilot circuit may be clogged up from debris and varnish. You could add some miracle in a bottle to the tank to see if it will dissolve the gunk. Or you could read the carb guide to dismantle and clean the carbs.

Back