New rider/owner '81 XS650

Yamabobber

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First time rider and XS650 owner. Picked up a beautiful 1981 model with just over 3600 miles for $1700. All original and runs like a dream. Just need to learn how to ride. And, as an engineer I can't leave anything alone. My plan is to learn and enjoy the bike for the next 6 months to year before changing things. I love the bobber look and am leaning in that direction Looking forward to learning everything I can anout these bikes. This site seems to have everthing one could need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 225
It is everything you need. Good choice on enjoying it as is. Learn the details of a stocker, then mod it to what you really want.
I bought a basket case 650, because a friend needed $50. Learns a lot from that heap, now I have 3 more.
It's contagious

Hi Yamabobber and welcome,
first, take a rider's course, eh?
Like scabber sez, you need front signals.
Not just for whatever inspection your DMV requires but because you need to be seen by other road users.
You'll need stock 27Watt bulbs in them too or the stock flasher won't work them.

- - - I've started the search for front turn signals.

Hi Yamabobber
A majority of Yamahas of the period had the same signals and they'll all swap.
Note that the DT series bikes were 6V.
I blew all 4 original bulbs on a set finding that out but I had to buy 12V 27W bulbs anyway. At least the 12V bulbs fitted the sockets.
Pay full whack for authentic signals at the Yamaha store.
Pay somewhat less at MikesXS & other suppliers for plastic copies.
Look in the list's classifieds for used signals &/or put your own want ad there.

Back