New throttle cable doesn’t fit throttle sleeve right

brianis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the po put a new throttle cable on but where it slides into the housing at the sleeve it just hangs out showing cable was there a adapter or bushing that is supposed to be there

Hi Brianis

Welcome to the forum. What year is your bike? They differ slightly from year to year. My own bike (1975) had twin cables as standard for example. Is the bike standard or a custom?

Post up a picture of where you think there is something missing and someone will probably be able to confirm yes or no. (it may be that the new cable inner is too long.) Any idea where the cable came from or what it is?

Apparently,everyone likes photos around here. So if you want to get everyone's attention, post some photos of your new pride and joy.

Dave

BTW - People here like to put some information about their bike into the "sig" so you dont have to answer the same questions over and over.

Sounds like maybe it's not the right cable. The original will have a metal elbow and adjuster built into the end of it .....

9K0mBrs.jpg

I’ll post a pic later when I’m home but mine does not have a metal elbow at all. I also don’t think it has a light on off or anything

The light on-off switch was only present up until 1978, then it disappeared. The metal elbow on the cable was always there though. Like I said, sounds like it's the wrong cable.

I’ll have to take some pics later I believe it has a red kill switch on the housing and it has a bolt for a poor mans throttle lock. The cable is brand new but something isn’t right I just don’t know these bikes well enough to know what is up

Throttle wont work. For a push pull cable. I had to do the same for my project. Also you will need to get the screw and holder plate to snug it up and to prevent it from coming out of the throttle. Check out part #51-6517 on mikes xs site.

So does anyone make a single pull there is to much play in this one I don’t need all the stock crap on my control it’s on a chopper

Back