New to me 1983

jmancorp

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am the 3rd owner of an 83 650. It has just shy of 2300 miles on it, and beyond the small maintenance oversight during the short 2nd owners tenure it's not bad for a 40 year old bike. I feel the need to modify though. I have always been drawn to the cafe/scrambler/tracker crowd. I don't want to make another blend in with the time cafe, but I do want to clean up the lines and maybe add some modern tech to the machine. Does anyone have suggestions for fork upgrades, I don't mind the though of going to double front discs and potentially getting rid of the rear drum. I've never used motogadget hardware but it looks compelling, any users here? Just basic suggestions for pieces of the bike you might deem upgrade worthy or necessary to use the machine as a fun weekend or daily. For insight I have several cars and 2 other bikes to daily, so nothing is too extreme, I've daily driven an R6 and a Triumph T120R.
photo1662246377.jpeg

I feel the need to modify though. I have always been drawn to the cafe/scrambler/tracker crowd. I don't want to make another blend in with the time cafe, but I do want to clean up the lines and maybe add some modern tech to the machine. Does anyone have suggestions for fork upgrades, I don't mind the though of going to double front discs and potentially getting rid of the rear drum. I've never used motogadget hardware but it looks compelling, any users here? Just basic suggestions for pieces of the bike you might deem upgrade worthy or necessary to use the machine as a fun weekend or daily. For insight I have several cars and 2 other bikes to daily, so nothing is too extreme, I've daily driven an R6 and a Triumph T120R.
Re-styling is a very a personal process and there are significant differences between so-called "cafe", "scrambler", and "tracker". So, perhaps look through many pics of each style (search Pinterest) and see what works for you. The XS can become anything.

On Motogadget items: They make some unique and quality stuff. Their gauges and signals can lend themselves to "cleaning-up" the dash and handlebar area for a variety of styles. The M-Unit does not lend itself to using the stock wiring scheme or stock components (Switches, etc) it is best only for a custom from-scratch rewire.

Last edited:
Again, styling is a very personal thing; some prefer them left original and appreciate that. I cringe at modifying a nice pre-1978 and especially pre-1973. '78 and later: I have little compunction hacking away at 'em - very much an opinion thing

I really love my standard '78 and '79 650 Specials, I really don't like seeing them butchered at all.
After 1979, IMHO, while the mechanics/electrics got better, the styling went downhill fast.
The Heritage seems to be the most unloved of all, mutilate them all you like.
I'll be quite happy to keep buying up all the discarded parts, cheaply, that fit my '78/'79 bikes.

The Heritage seems to be the most unloved of all, mutilate them all you like.
Fortunately for them, there are people like me. I'm up for modifying any of them, but I wouldn't care to do it to a nice one. I have a rough '78E. I am not inclined to restore it to stock. BUT, I assure you it won't be fitted with a 16" rear wheel and pullback bars. Or, will it? :laugh:

I dunno how it works in the USA, but a lot of "classic bike" sales here seem to be motivated by nostalgia from people who spent a mis-spent youth on such a bike.
I seem to be developing a strong urge to own a Suzuki GT750 once more, I had one from 1978 to '88.
Now the Heritage Special never made it to the UK back in the day.
Yamaha dropped the XS650 and were pushing the new XJ650 sports bike.
So there's no nostalgia market for the Heritage here.
They fetch the lowest prices for any given condition, despite the TCI and charging improvements

I've had mine since new. I've also been riding an Eleven Special for the last 20 years. I have six Specials in the garage. To your point, I'm American and I'm about the right age. Back in the day, it was only Specials that people wanted. @jmancorp, that appears to be a very fine example you have.

But yes, it seems Yamaha really did hit the Heritage Special hard with the "ugly stick", lol. That mega-hump seat and bazillion spoke front wheel, not to mention the silly buckhorn bars, just look awful in my opinion. I have an '83, and after changing those 3 items I think it looks quite nice .....

NewWheelMounted3.jpg

NewWheelMounted4.jpg

I do what we call a "resto-mod" to my bikes. I change things to make it look, ride, and run better, but nothing gets cut off so all the changes are reversible, not that I see myself ever changing it back. Here's a thread on my '83. It'll show and explain many of the little mods you can do to these .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/200-special.51454/

Yes, some do like the stock Special "look", but I think if a vote were taken, they'd be in the minority, lol.
Today, among this group, I agree. Back in 1979, Specials win, hands down. As for me, I wanted an XS650 since I first got up close and personal with a new XS-2. The fact that the only new one was a Heritage Special when I was ready, did not dampen my enthusiasm.

I missed out on a nice pair of Heritage wheels from a guy near me, but he sold his 16" rear wheel to his milkman of all people.
Turns out his milkman was building some sort of XS project too.
Small world isn't it ?

I am the 3rd owner of an 83 650. It has just shy of 2300 miles on it. I feel the need to modify though. I have always been drawn to the cafe/scrambler/tracker crowd. . Does anyone have suggestions for fork upgrades, I don't mind the though of going to double front discs and potentially getting rid of the rear drum.
So, I've already stirred more controversy than intended:). I do have some thoughts on chassis "updates", once you get a style direction (even original). The style changes (to me) include changing wheels and tires and each choice will influence what handling characteristics result; trackers and scramblers better on lower speed backroads, cafe (road racy) more fast "canyon carving". I'll shut-up until we know more about your intended riding preferences (what type roads, speeds, etc.)

Yamaha dropped the XS650 and were pushing the new XJ650 sports bike.
So there's no nostalgia market for the Heritage here.

The US was the only country to get the Heritage specials with the 64/48 spoke wheels.

s-l1600 b.jpg

Canada got a heritage Special with mag wheels
Canadian.jpg

Europe 80-81 Specials, (US Customs), had mag wheels
17601_0_3_4_xs 650_Submitted by anonymous user..jpg

But you guys got a cool standard till 82
8177_pin-yamaha-xs-650-e-images-on-pinterest.jpg

Last edited:
I've had mine since new. I've also been riding an Eleven Special for the last 20 years. I have six Specials in the garage. To your point, I'm American and I'm about the right age. Back in the day, it was only Specials that people wanted. @jmancorp, that appears to be a very fine example you have.
I appreciate that, it seems like a decent bike considering it's 40 years on. I have no intention of chopping it up, but some aesthetic changes are in order.

So, I've already stirred more controversy than intended:). I do have some thoughts on chassis "updates", once you get a style direction (even original). The style changes (to me) include changing wheels and tires and each choice will influence what handling characteristics result; trackers and scramblers better on lower speed backroads, cafe (road racy) more fast "canyon carving". I'll shut-up until we know more about your intended riding preferences (what type roads, speeds, etc.)
I will gladly take some ideas on chassis enhancements. I am leaning towards the scrambler/tracker use case. I have a great bike for canyon carving and having something road capable but back road worthy sounds like a great addition to the quiver.

There's a bazillion variations on the XS to be found in the Lets See The XS's thread.
One of the (many) versions of my backroad bomber built from a 79 special.
DSCN3212.JPG
I don't think anyone mourns the bike I started from.
XS17.jpg
Trust me it was worse than it looks, but had the heart of a lion.

But seriously if you are going to do major work might consider starting with one that's not so resto worthy.

83 Heritage special I revived,
83 002.jpg
It left for a new home. (with a promise he wouldn't cut it up.)
Aero 018.JPG

Last edited:
Back