New to the riding world!

That Guy in Maine

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, my names Matt and I'm 17 and live in Maine (bet you couldn't have figured that out on your own).

Last fall I got my first motorcycle, a 1994 CBR600F2. I still have it, and it's getting close to being ready to take out on the road. I just need to get some gear, and finish the bike up, just putting fairings and mirrors on now and she's ready to ride!

Anyways, enough of the CBR chit chat. I'm here because I'm looking at buying an XS650. Specifically a 1982 XS650 Heritage Special.

The bike has been sitting the last ~10 years, being run around the block once or twice each year. Nothing else really. Obviously I'll need to take the carbs out and rebuild them, but what else should I be looking for on an older bike like this? The one I'm looking at this weekend has about 37,000 miles on it. I know a well maintained CBR will reach 100,000 miles easily, how do these Yamahas stack up?

When I go to check the bike out, what should I look for specifically?

That's all for now, I plan on picking this up if everything checks out and starting another project! After I finish this a supermoto or dual sport is on the list haha, but I have a feeling this will take a few months to complete on a college kid budget. Here's my end goal though (although mine will be different in a few ways, but quite similar) :

yamaha-xs650.jpg

Hi, Matt. Another Mainer here.

37,000 is not a lot on a 650 motor, IF it was maintained properly (read: oil changed regularly and valves kept adjusted). Best indicator of overall condition is a compression check. Adjust the cam chain and the valves (tutorials on that in the tech section) and then check compression. Over 100 psi will work, over 120 is great.

Don't get TOO stressed if it's low, a bit of running to loosen up the rings and get things lubed/seated again after sitting will often bring it up.

Where in Maine? I'm Downeast (no...really?:laugh:) about 25 miles out of Ellsworth. If you're reasonably nearby I'd be glad to help with whatever I can.

Hi Matt, most inportant is a clear title. after that a 30 year old bike will have some thing wrong. I would look for rust. check the inside the tank for rust. and check for missing parts. see if engine is siezed. clear title is the most inportant thing to me. ,ED
And BTW welcome to the site. here is some good reading for ya
CV Carbs - one of the best how-to manuals ive found for the original carbs

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
this was provided by Grizld1, 5twins and Pamcopete

Last edited:
TGiM,
Longevity depends on maintenance. With 37K miles it must have had some?
I base that on all the bikes we see on here with 4-10K that are not running, basket cases, the motors are seized, rats,squirrels and mice have had their way with the wiring, etc.
I've heard of 60-70K mile motors still running. XSJohn was doing a fine job of proving their realibilty and longevity. I think he was somewhere close to 70K when he passed.

Greetings Matt,
As you wander through this forum, you'll realize the strong following of the XS and how much info and support is on here. I picked up a $500 "parts" bike and resurrected it from the dead. I just wanted a bike to ride and now she's my obsession. I was very lucky to get an XS. At 64,xxx miles, she still runs strong. She leaks some oil a bit but not enough to be concerned about.

The charging system seems to be a common thread on here and I've gone through mine as well. The DIY fixes are tried and true, I've done them myself. I have the homemade rectifier, the auto parts store regulator, etc. and do not have any issues. I went through the carbs as well and have them tuned. Search the homemade manometer to get them synced properly, it's a cheap tool to make and well worth it.

I have an extra motor that's ready to be reassembled but I'm holding off until this one finally goes. She's running too good still to justify the engine swap.

I eventually want to go with the wider front tire like you have in your pic. That will take some research before I take that plunge.

Again, welcome aboard. When you make your purchase, post some pics!

Hi, Matt. Another Mainer here.

37,000 is not a lot on a 650 motor, IF it was maintained properly (read: oil changed regularly and valves kept adjusted). Best indicator of overall condition is a compression check. Adjust the cam chain and the valves (tutorials on that in the tech section) and then check compression. Over 100 psi will work, over 120 is great.

Don't get TOO stressed if it's low, a bit of running to loosen up the rings and get things lubed/seated again after sitting will often bring it up.

Where in Maine? I'm Downeast (no...really?:laugh:) about 25 miles out of Ellsworth. If you're reasonably nearby I'd be glad to help with whatever I can.

Thanks for the offer! I'm over in the Fryeburg region...on the NH border!

Greetings Matt,
As you wander through this forum, you'll realize the strong following of the XS and how much info and support is on here. I picked up a $500 "parts" bike and resurrected it from the dead. I just wanted a bike to ride and now she's my obsession. I was very lucky to get an XS. At 64,xxx miles, she still runs strong. She leaks some oil a bit but not enough to be concerned about.

The charging system seems to be a common thread on here and I've gone through mine as well. The DIY fixes are tried and true, I've done them myself. I have the homemade rectifier, the auto parts store regulator, etc. and do not have any issues. I went through the carbs as well and have them tuned. Search the homemade manometer to get them synced properly, it's a cheap tool to make and well worth it.

I have an extra motor that's ready to be reassembled but I'm holding off until this one finally goes. She's running too good still to justify the engine swap.

I eventually want to go with the wider front tire like you have in your pic. That will take some research before I take that plunge.

Again, welcome aboard. When you make your purchase, post some pics!

I'll be sure to post some pictures, the picture above has a complete modified front end, the forks and triple came from a 2004 Suzuki RMZ450, I plan to put a similar front end on, I really like the look he got from it.

Here is the page with a bit more info on the pictured bike above : http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs650-2

Anyways, you bring up a good point, if it has 37K on it, somebody had to keep it running! The guy who has it now has had it since he got it from his brother, he kept it stored indoors all this time and has taken it out and run it around the bike every year a few times, plus replaced the battery a few times too.

I'll keep everybody updated as I make progress!

Hi, Matt, and welcome to the world of XS650. I left it about 35 years ago and am happy to be back. I'd say that if that bike has been run "a couple times a year around the block" it is likely to need very little. Don't assume you'll need to rebuild the carbs. There are some good threads on here like "I bought an XS650, now what?" that will lead you through a good checklist of things to do. Good luck, keep us posted. Photos are appreciated!

The picture is a wonder full looking bike.
My feeling is to try and go stock as you can until you have a good runner and you have understood all the little gotchas that the XS has. There are quite a few of them. Once understood, then you can start looking at modifications. With the idea that you can go back to what did work it if goes wrong and you will have already a good idea of what was right to begin with. Too many have a project that never gets finished. I guess thats fun for some, but for me I want to ride it around a little too. I have a good strong mostly stock runner. I could not have got it there without this forum. Now I dream of modifications. However I am dreaming that they will be on a second bike. I want one that runs too.

Back