New to the XS 650 and motorcycles in general

52Chevy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new to the forum. I've been looking at getting a motorcycle for a while couldn't really afford anything nice. My dad had a 650 in his barn that he said if I can fix it I can have it. So I scrounged around and found the parts he had laying around, took it to my house and I'm eager to get started.

Hopefully I will get a lot of answers here

Dave

Welcome! I've been into bikes for a while, but just got my first XS. Wasnt running when i bought it, but all it took to get it running was a battery, plugs, a few pieces of wire, and a tank of gas. Good luck!

I am SO sorry. All is lost now. Might as well give in and enjoy your decent into biking. It's only a matter of time before you are wearing fringed chaps and looking down your nose at anyone who isn't riding a Harley.
You must have been born under a lucky star your first motorcycle and YOU got an XS650 in your lap. Odds are you will ride a lot of different bikes in your life and after years and countless adventures you will realize you never enjoyed a motorcycle more than the XS650 you started with.

I am SO sorry. All is lost now. Might as well give in and enjoy your decent into biking. It's only a matter of time before you are wearing fringed chaps and looking down your nose at anyone who isn't riding a Harley.
You must have been born under a lucky star your first motorcycle and YOU got an XS650 in your lap. Odds are you will ride a lot of different bikes in your life and after years and countless adventures you will realize you never enjoyed a motorcycle more than the XS650 you started with.

Yeah thus far I am very happy with the experience. It was this or a 360 Honda that used to be my Grapdpa's but my dad seemed to want that for himself.

I just got off the phone with my dad and he was very shocked at how much I had gotten accomplished in the time I've had the bike. If all goes as planned it will be running by August(my birthday) and then over the winter I can tear into it again and do any mods that I feel necessary.

I was going to buy a Ninja 250, I've heard they make a really good first bike. I just didn't have the money. My dad thought about it and figured this would be a low cost option. Then he started looking for parts and was able to find all of them he had, and the title! That was the shocker.

Well, it won't cost you as much as a new Ninja 250 ( they are great little bikes!) but don't count on it staying free!
Welcome. I also am taking posession of my father's XS650. Funny. That seems to be going around.

I agree with GG. My first "full size" bike was a TX650. I had owned a number of other bikes and had ridden for years. I did a demo ride on the 650 and was immediately hooked. Enjoy your treasure.

My dad's 79 Special II, well, mine, but it will always be dad's, was the first full-on street bike I ever rode out of sight of the house on the actual road, instead of a logging trail, or cow path, or mining road! Went half way to town on it when I was 17!

First bike ever was the XS and I don't think I'll ever sell her. (fingers crossed) I'm hooked.
There's something about these bikes that just feels right, I hope you catch that the first chance you get her out again. Good luck with your build, Glad you didn't get the honda. :D

Yeah I already have a bug, and I haven't even ridden it yet. Hopefully by August!

The first bike I ever rode was a RX50 Special. I think I was around 10 years old. I guess I have gone back to the Yamaha Special as well. Only now it's a more fitting 650.

RX50.jpg

Not the actual bike, but exactly like it.

Back