New to xs650 first build

Gmorrone1214

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all name is Gabe and I'm going to be picking up a 1979 xs650 from a CL seller tomorrow. Bike is currently not running and wanted to know what I should typically look for. My main concern was compression and I will be checking if it is at the right psi and within 10% of the other cylinder. What psi should it be at cold 130-160? Idk how long the bike has not run, couple of months possibly. Besides this what else is a major concern? I will be trouble shooting the starting problem once I bring the bike home.

Also I am deciding to go in the direction of this build

He states that the hardtail drop seat is made by Wise Guys but they do not sell this product anymore. Which company should I go with?

Thanks everyone.

- - - My main concern was compression and I will be checking if it is at the right psi and within 10% of the other cylinder. What psi should it be at cold 130-160? - - -

Hi Gabe and welcome,
if you get low compression numbers and the bike hasn't run for a while, do not despair or tear the engine down right away.
Fire the bike up and put a few hundred miles on it then check it again.
It's amazing how a long time parked bike can sometimes free itself up after it's been run a while.

Back