New to XS650

danodemotoman

XS650DAN
Reaction score
Howdy all. looks like a very good forum. Thanks to all who contribute.
Spent a couple hrs reading topics today and affirmed by frame, matching engine #, pass footpeg mount and fuel tank ... that all say I have a 78 XS650E, 2F0003659.
It has an old dealership deal over top of fear fender close to the seat with Kalispell readable.
Bill of sale so have to apply here in WA for title.
Owner had it running recently, barely. Came with lower flat bars that make the brake mstr cyl bolted on at an odd angle and can't fill properly and an old(?) set of the 'buckhorn' looking bars, clymer manual. Also came with a new wiring harness, bonus!
Need a headlight shell as one on now is too big and forces the mounting ears out.
I am a fair mechanic and will work on the bike to likely be stock as possible. It may be some time before I can start bringing the XS back to operating condition.
I like stock. Have a '85 V65 Sabre, 61 Rambler Classic and a 66 fairlane GTA (in final process of resto).
http://danodemotoman.smugmug.com/
I am a rider of 50 plus years experience and still learning to have fun. On the third Kaw Concours, 2nd KLR 560 2nd DRZ400S.

Last edited:
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum, plenty of good info and helpful people on here.
That's a very nice V65 Sabre you have, I'm extremely jealous. I have a V45 here, rode it about 400klm the last 3 days, no V65's in this country I'm aware of. Yours looks in great condition. Look forward to seeing pictures and progress with your XS project.
Pete

Thanks for the welcome.
My Ma thought I would grow out of the motorcycle phase... ha ha.
Here are a couple CL pics of the bike as I just bought it just last Wed:

78%20XS650%20-L.jpg

78%20XS650%202-L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Pete.
I was living in my brother Mark's garage in 1987 during a mid life change and was reading the local Valley News with a 1/2 page ad from Renton (WA) Honda about a sale of mc's that had been warehoused during the prior economic recession.
Mark, you need to buy the new in the crate 85 V65! Heck it was msrp about $4K plus, now discounted to $2715! I wasn't working full time so missed out on that.
After 18 yrs it was mostly a garage queen with only 10k mi on it. I had tried to buy it the last tens years. In 2004 he moved to NM and decided to sell it to me. After giving it a good bath the bike looked almost new. That and claening fuel system, the carbs are not easy to get out in the V configuration with hardened intake boots!
Now I am excited about getting MY XS650 going (future project).
I recall living in Ogden UT about 1981 and wanting one. took me long enough to get started!

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum, plenty of good info and helpful people on here.
That's a very nice V65 Sabre you have, I'm extremely jealous. I have a V45 here, rode it about 400klm the last 3 days, no V65's in this country I'm aware of. Yours looks in great condition. Look forward to seeing pictures and progress with your XS project.
Pete

Your bike appears to have a brake master cylinder from a Special. The mirrors are likely from a Special as well. That is why you are dealing with the angle. It was designed for the long pullback Special bars.
SRC65003121.gif

650-03121_100.jpg

You are off to a good start!
SYHAwH8BTm_IILgM45AyByF-K585KMZFddFFD5StZjWaaz4Hul.jpg

BTW, I like that Rambler!

Marty,

Thanks for the bar/mstr cyl info.
The extra parts included the pull back bar type. I don't care for that (ergos) design so may have to keep an eye out for another master cyl. The bar on it is unknown other than PO liked it better than the pull back.
He also replaced the mirrors, they set out a bit more than I would expect and that may work better as I am a big and wide guy!
The Rambler.... thanks for the appreciate!
It is a 61 Classic 4 dr and only made the Classic in that configuration in 61. (the Classic name was used many years)
The same model/year was my first car out of HS (Great Falls MT) in 1968. It was my Dad's work driver. Hey it was transportation!
Again on CL in 2011, I see this car in the Dallas OR area and wonder about driving my first car model again. :D It is self entertainment with my Big Sky MT ball cap on driving it around. I get many stares and some comments as it is not only a survivor but rare... tho not valuable.

If you have any concern about keeping it stock, the headlight bucket should be black with a chrome rim. The chrome headlight bucket and instrument cans were reserved for Specials.

If I chose the alternate 78 color, Metallic Green, then the headlight bucket would be green too? Is the headlight correct for a 78 E other than the finish or is the Special headlight diff the the std?
Many thanks for help and info. :)
Once again I swim against the current as do not want a black vehicle of any type.

If you have any concern about keeping it stock, the headlight bucket should be black with a chrome rim. The chrome headlight bucket and instrument cans were reserved for Specials.

If I chose the alternate 78 color, Metallic Green, then the headlight bucket would be green too? Is the headlight correct for a 78 E other than the finish or is the Special headlight diff the the std?
Many thanks for help and info. :)
Once again I swim against the current as do not want a black vehicle of any type.

For your bike the headlight bucket should be black. The color did not vary with the color of the bike. If you paint the bike OEM green, the correct headlight bucket color is still black.

The Special headlight is identical to yours, except that the bucket is chrome rather than black and it would look nice on your bike, IMHO. To add confusion, the Special II has a black bucket as yours did.

The early bikes had color matched pieces up front. That may have been up through 1975, but I'm not sure what year that ended.
VintageFest2011141.jpg

1973 TX650

Thanks for replys!
I like the chrome bucket. I am not always a hard head when it comes to 'stock'. :laugh:
Truly I can see this forum is a gem and that means the members!

The carbs are a beast to get in and out of ANY Honda V-4! Welcome. You'll find plenty of "stock" support here.

With the special parts up there it's kinda likely she took a front crash at some time. worth checking the frame at least with the eyeball they do get bent sometimes. I stand in front of the bike and compare the fork tubes to the oil pipe on the front of the engine. That will often show up a serious bend anyways.
Bike looks nice, good color. But yeah the green is even better.

Thanks for the hint Gary.
Will pull outa the shed to eyeball front if it stops raining here!

With the special parts up there it's kinda likely she took a front crash at some time. worth checking the frame at least with the eyeball they do get bent sometimes. I stand in front of the bike and compare the fork tubes to the oil pipe on the front of the engine. That will often show up a serious bend anyways.
Bike looks nice, good color. But yeah the green is even better.

OK old thread but made progress today.
After waiting three years per the state requirement of lost title of previous owner, paid the fee for title in my name.
Now will have to get this old guy brain reviewing what members have mentioned.
Where to start.
Oh, and the car/projects now in process and waiting... LOL.
Do I work or ride what is running?

Show me you fairlane, and ill show you mine!
I almost took a v65 for free. But when i went to check it out, he had no papers, and said it ran, but the carbs were off, and in pieces. Even free, i have learned when to say when. The only thing going for it was it was a 84, wich was after the cam oil isues in the prevois years.

Back