New turn signals, with running light

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks. On my new 83 one of the front turns signals has a bend in the rim so the lens won't fit right.
While on Ebay shopping I found new replacement turn signals for $18.82 each shipped. The manufacturer is K&S Technologies Inc. I ordered two.
One came in today, I just wrote the seller and asked the seller about the second one. Seller is Power Sport Superstore.
It looks pretty good. Nice shiny chrome.
It came with an amber lens, and had two wires coming out of it. I removed the lens to check and it has an 1157 two element bulb in it.
This means you can hook them up to have turns, of course, but also running lights. I like this.
I might buy more for the other bikes. Stock lens fit just fine so you can use them on the rear with a red lens on the rear and hook up the brakes to them too. Might need to use a trailer adapter though. Need to experiment with them some.
Leo

Leo how is this coming along? Interested in how and what you have to do to wire it in.
I'm working on a set of rears with clearance/park lights. Robbed a 4 way female bullet connector from a junk harness for the clearance light(hooked into the tail light) but hooked up it will only work if I unplug either the turn signal (then I have clearance light) or unplug the clearance light (then I have turn signals).
These are LEDs vs incandescent but the flasher has been changed for LED's.

Angus, the body is cast alloy, Similar to the stock ones but are all one piece. Not two pieces pinned together, They ground through the body same as stock.
Weekender, the second one came in last night, Have not tried one on the bike as of yet. I plan to hook them in soon.
They have a black wire and a red wire, the black is the running light. Red is turn light, I will plug the red into the turns same as stock. The black I'll hook into any of the lights power, dash lights probably, This can be done in the headlight bucket.
I'll put them on the 75 first. I built that harness myself, a bit simpler, only 6 wires in the headlight bucket, each turn, the headlight high and low, grounds. Just have to run a wire out for power for running lights.
I picked up some LED bulbs at Wal Mart, 1157 type bulbs to try in the tail light of the 83, I didn't like them in there. The bulb has 6 LED's around the lower band. The upper band of 6 and three on the end. The three lower ones light up as running lights and the upper and end ones light up for the turns. On the 83 there isn't much reflective surface behind the bulbs, So much of the light is wasted.
The lower band in the 83 isn't very bright and the turns are about the same as stock. The brake wasn't much better.
In these new lights or the stock with a cup shaped reflective surface they work much better. Brighter than the incandescent bulbs that came in them.
I tested them on the bench with a spare battery.
On the bike I did a short test ride, needs more carb work. Clutch works fine, shifts good. I did the test ride with the tires that came on it. One reason test ride was short and slow. I plan on working on the carbs later today or tomorrow. When it runs better I'll swap the wheels from the 80 for a longer test ride.
I have been shopping for tires on Ebay, the Shinko 712's look like a good price.
Leo

Last edited:
I've solved the problem in post #3 with a
IMG_20160705_211631_002.jpg

Placed in-line on the turn signal wire.
IMG_20160705_211540_850.jpg

So now I have clearance/turn signals but am thinking they might not be as bright as I want.
The left is the clearance, the right the turn signal.
IMG_20160705_213013_526.jpg

Make sure and check your state laws. Some states prohibit mixing yellow/red lights on the rear of a vehicle.
(Red and yellow lights constantly on that is..)

Hey cycleranger thanks for the heads up. After several calls and a trip down to the local troop headquarters the best anyone can tell me is as long as they aren't blinding a vehicle behind and the turn signal part is brighter than the running light they can't find a law that says you can't have them as accessory lights?????
That individual rides and his opinion is "lights are a good thing". Soooo I guess it is at individual discretion ?
Maybe the madjap will chime in.

Back