New vs NOS or Used electrical parts

karbo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my coil. I'm leaning toward the Honda MP 08. My Ultimate coil failed. I considered an aftermarket CBR600 replacement coil. Most of them are China made. Wondered about the reliability of something like that vs. a used CBR600/MP08 coil. The CBR coil is most likely going to be at least 10 years old I'm guessing so are they at the point of failing? NOS stuff on the shelf for years seems like it might age too and become brittle (maybe I'm wrong?). Also, is there a good Japanese or domestic replacement that works without breaking the bank? I was told any 3 ohm coil will work. I would like to stick with a dual output with the screw on caps too. Pamco/PMA system installed by the way. Sorry for beating this topic to death but the ever changing quality of some the aftermarket parts lately makes me raise the question. Just looking for a little experienced guidance here.

I think you have posed a very interesting question karbo. Oh welcome to the forum by the way :)

I too have this constant dilemma as I am restoring or rather conserving a 1964 Lambretta Li150 Special scooter at the moment.

There are zillions of copy parts being made in the Far East and they are very available and cheap but for the most part they are rubbish!
Rubber parts that perish or fall to pieces when fitting them. Poor tolerance and non existant quality control. Lots of parts have clearly been cast from home made back yard moulds using whatever mix of metals scrounged from lord knows where.

Innocenti parts made 50+ years ago are still of better quality and condition than brand new parts . I now invariably go for used period components which I rennovate and refurbish back to as-new . They fit and look better and I like the buzz I get from salvaging something and recyling it. ....ok I'm also a skinflint :)

My preference is always go used period parts except obviously seals, gaskets, filters bearings etc and other perishables .

Last edited:
The reason I went to the mp08 was the cheap coil I kept buying kept failing. Finally there were reports that the terminals on the latest batch would break off if you tried to use them. Somebody came along with the mp08 suggestion at just the right time.

Avoid buying Chinese/Taiwan ignition coils, that are sold by Mikesxs and most other aftermarket sellers.
There is no way to know how long a used coil will last, but the Japanese made coils are high quality so they should be good for 20 or 30 years.
I have used a 3.3 ohm Accel coil ( # 140403S ,non CDI) for about 10 years now with my Pamco, and find it to be an excellent coil. I don't know where my Accel coil was made..................maybe made in USA, but I'm not sure. The Accel is expensive, but it's high quality.

Good input guys. Thanks for chiming in. I actually saw a coil sold by Walmart that was knockoff of the Honda coil for the same price of the "made in China" coils on eBay.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to go with a nice used MP08 than any of those China sparkers. In fact, even though I have a very nice, well functioning (so far) Andrews, I am seriously considering buying some MP08's just to have as back-ups. They will work with the Pamco or an original TCI. What's not to like? Especially if you can get them for $10 to $20.

That Honda MP08 coil has a better reputation than all of the generations of Honda coils that came before it. Good prices too. Small and easy to mount.

Scott

Back