Wizard of Smiles

Retro Rookie Rider
Reaction score
Would it be smart for Yamaha to make a "new" Xs-650 , make it updated but make as many parts fot the old bike as you can, that way you can sell parts for a profit too.

tank
seat
Fuel Injection
New brakes forks
crate motor
rear end
etc
swapable

The W650 was a head it it's time I think a new xs-650 ie a bonnie that sells for $1500- 2 k less and I'd but that. Do the same trick it did before undersell triumph.

No?

I doubt that the old engine design could made to run clean enough to pass today's emmissions. Now a totally new engine, no problem. Say a F.I. engine that would be able to bolt in our frames and have a bolt up conrods with bearing shells instead of roller bearings. One peice crankshaft and a modern PM alternator. 6 speed tranny too.

hi guys ,,, a few years ago wasn,t there a picture of a xs v twin 1000 a burgony coloured bike,,, they showed it at some bike show ,,,,regards oldbiker

hi guys ,,, a few years ago wasn,t there a picture of a xs v twin 1000 a burgony coloured bike,,, they showed it at some bike show ,,,,regards oldbiker

This one?

Yamaha XS-V1 Sakura concept
Sakura.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/19/yamaha-xs-v1-sakura-concept-to-be-shown-in-tokyo/

Simple facts are it wouldn't sell in the numbers needed to justify production.

This is exactly right. While we all love the XS650, most modern bike riders won't. That being said, at this time, there are honestly enough XS650 out there for most who want one to get one no problem.

i like it ,,,,,,but those mufflers and exhaust would need tooooooo goand be replaced by more modern style exhaust/mufflers regards oldbiker

the Kawi w650 was made.. I think guys are porr today, they can't buy that mustang.. a motorcycle is a cheap thrill.. I'd live it if the did make a Yamaha w650 that swapped parts w/ our older bike.

the Kawi w650 was made.. I think guys are porr today, they can't buy that mustang.. a motorcycle is a cheap thrill.. I'd live it if the did make a Yamaha w650 that swapped parts w/ our older bike.

yes....for not very long either. All of the retro fad bikes dont seem to last production to long (Ducati SC line just ended). Sales are always lack lustre. (bonneville may be the exception) Buy a W650 then....it's a better engineered bike than the XS thanks to 20 some years of technology....even bevel drive so no cam chain to ever adjust.

Simple facts are it wouldn't sell in the numbers needed to justify production.

This is exactly right. While we all love the XS650, most modern bike riders won't. That being said, at this time, there are honestly enough XS650 out there for most who want one to get one no problem.

Its a great thought, but sadly in a large company like Yamaha, production cost vs sales would be the prime motive. As for me, I love old bikes, but most riders only see them as a curiosity, not something they would like to own or ride.

0107_bonnie_w6502_zoom+2001_kawasaki_w650+side_view.jpg

A Kawaville? Just say'n
The cam drive cover on the cylinder leaves me cold..... Otherwise I like it

They are nice bikes, but they are not produced any longer either, due to emmissions crap.
I was talking to a British bike guy a couple weeks ago. This guy is something else when it comes to Triumphs, BSA, Norton, ect. He owns at least 150 of them, no shit either.
He told me that the XS engine is the engine Triumph should have built. No push rods and, with a little more engineering, it could have been the best.

Some forget that BSA bought Triumph in 1951. Just goes to show the "staying" power of some companies and product names.

The W650 was made for 9 years, 1999-2008, and production was ceased due to emissions problems. It was replaced last year by the W800, with fuel injection, fully emissions compliant. I'd like to give it a try.

Seems Kawasaki has done it again. Remember the S 1, I think it was called. Their rendition of the BSA's A10 and A7's? The KZ750 twins? This isn't their first attempt.

Back