New XS owner from Michigan

knucks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just picked up an 1980 XS650 Special.

1374123_10103123503840083_158281795_n.jpg

It runs. Needs a slight tune up, I think - I am coming from a moped/scooter background, know my way around 1 cylinder/1 carb and points CDI and 2strokes, not much about Motorcycles (you can spy a sportbike in the background - Derbi GPR50..)

Is there anything I *need* to know in particular? I heard the woes about the battery (if its less than 40Amps the bike won't kick over?)

Currently the starter is disconnected so it's kickstart only, I kinda like that.

knucks, welcome to the forum, I too recently bought a XS650 heritage special, before that I rode a MC-54-250B roketa scooter:yikes: (still have it, I just couldn't sell her) but I love my motorcycle, but it took alittle transition to get use to shifting:bike: I think the main thing is going over your big like we did with the scooter (PDI) then your maintenance oil change, air fifter etc. I should other guys will add to the list. BTW Nice Bike!

Yeah just need more shifting practice of course. I took a motorcycle course prior to getting my CY so I get it, just need MUCH more riding under my belt.

Hey all,

I just picked up an 1980 XS650 Special.

1374123_10103123503840083_158281795_n.jpg

It runs. Needs a slight tune up, I think - I am coming from a moped/scooter background, know my way around 1 cylinder/1 carb and points CDI and 2strokes, not much about Motorcycles (you can spy a sportbike in the background - Derbi GPR50..)

Is there anything I *need* to know in particular? I heard the woes about the battery (if its less than 40Amps the bike won't kick over?)

Currently the starter is disconnected so it's kickstart only, I kinda like that.

Very nice looking bike! Some previous owner evidently cleaned it up - grab bar and turn signals are gone. Not sure I'd want to be riding around Ann arbor area without turn signals, especially when Michigan's playing at home in the Big House.

:bike:

I got the bike from my coworker who had it for not very long. The previous owner was converting this bike to a street tracker, so yes a few mods done. Turn signals are in a box, need to be wired.

Nice looking bike!

Just about everything you need to know is on this site, a Clymer or Haynes manual is helpful also. Have fun with it, the Search is your friend here, read read read...

There are a few of us here from the mitten. I'm between Lansing and GR, I've seen a few from AA and Detroit subs also, then more scattered across the state. If you get hooked on these bikes like I have, there are a few vintage shows across the state, like All Clubs Day in Stochbridge or the Gilmore show between Kzoo and Battle Creek.

Enjoy

Thanks, thanks. I do have the Clymer manual. My first order of business is to replace the right fork seal, it leaks. Also need to replace the front brake pads or even re-build the caliper. The oil got into the pads and soaked them. might be able to get to this this evening :)

Hi knucks,
XS650 parts swap around like LEGO but the photo sez it's most likely a '79.
Pic shows steel side covers rather than plastic and plate bracket mounted tail light rather than the '80's grabrail mount.
Check if yours has points vs TCI & a hinged seat vs lift-off seat.

Back