new xs650 guy

XSGLENN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 3 year of drooling and dreaming of the XS650 I finally picked up one! Found A 1980 XS650 on EBay then won the auction at $510.00. She's in the process of being shipped from New London, Wisconsin to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, with luck I'll be wrenching by the weekend. Right now I'm in the middle of a Honda CL450 hardtail bobber project, but it's time to put her on hold in favor of the XS650. I've got a ton of bobber parts for the Cl450 that will be used on the XS. A small list of parts I already have are:
- 3.1 King Sportster tank
- Gladiator style ribbed fender (Hand-built by Front street cycles)
- hidden spring kickstand
- 32 Ford tail light, HD head light, ribbed mini bullet blinkers
- Seat pan/springs

The look I'm going after is a Old School hard tail bobber. Hand build by your truly, I plan to do all paint, powder coating, welding, and fab work myself. To move things on a little faster I might drop the extra money on a pre-assembled voodoo vintage hardtail kit VS a non-assembled version. Paint style is still a question? Big metal flake, Lace, old school pin strips... hell who knows?? One thing I do know is.. I'll use a lot of brass accents and I don't plan to half ass nothing. The motor is another question at hand, it's got 22,000 miles so I'm sure a rebuild is in the works.
This is my first Xs650, so any of you seasoned XS guys have any recommendations on the do's and don'ts please let me know!
Glad to be a new member of the forum and cant wait to get started, Glenn

Hi, I'm new here as well, just dropping in to say congrats on your find and happy starting your project!

I haven't even able to source a bike yet, still searching :D

Congrats brother, I'm not too far from you actually. I just rebuilt my engine and I'll help any way I can. If comes down to it and you badly need help you could possibly persuade me into taking a leisurely ride down to loosa one day.

Hi, I'm new here as well, just dropping in to say congrats on your find and happy starting your project!

I haven't even able to source a bike yet, still searching :D

Keep a eye on Craig's list and Ebay I see a bunch of good deals on both. Just to give you a ideal It cost me $450.00 to ship 900 miles, so even if the bike you find is far away it doesn't cost that much to ship.

Congrats brother, I'm not too far from you actually. I just rebuilt my engine and I'll help any way I can. If comes down to it and you badly need help you could possibly persuade me into taking a leisurely ride down to loosa one day.

Ok great I'll keep your offer in mind.
By the way I'm digging you cafe build it looks nice and clean.

Back