New to me xs650

Sounds good, ive been looking for a used MC but not finding much so im wondering if I can use the stock MC and just sand and repaint it. Clearly some brake fluid has wrecked the paint but I really don't know if it was from a leak or a spill or even if it did leak but was fixed, from what I can tell it is not actively leaking, looking at the attached pictures do you have any thoughts or opinions? Thanks in advance!
You can get a rebuild kit for that if necessary or desired. Several vendors supply it. The plastic reservoir will pop out. Twist it 90 degrees and it will pop off. The packing or o'ring on the bottom of the plastic reservoir will need to be replaced. You can probably find one at a good auto parts house locally. Take it apart and clean it to the best of your ability. I believe I used caliper paint on mine. Use whatever you used on the rest of the stuff bolted to your handlebar. The plastic reservoir can be polished as required, followed by some car wax. I fixed a bad one with fine sandpaper and plastic polish.

Sounds good, ive been looking for a used MC but not finding much so im wondering if I can use the stock MC and just sand and repaint it. Clearly some brake fluid has wrecked the paint but I really don't know if it was from a leak or a spill or even if it did leak but was fixed, from what I can tell it is not actively leaking, looking at the attached pictures do you have any thoughts or opinions? Thanks in advance!

Hi 22,
even if your stock M/C is fixed up all new inside, bled out perfectly and looks shinier than a shithouse door on a frosty morning
it's piston is sized to work the Euro-bike's TWO calipers NOT the ONE caliper of North American bikes.
A single XS650 stock front brake caliper needs an 11mm or 12mm M/C to get good brake feel.
If all else fails pay full whack for a pattern replacement from MikesXS.
The life you save could be your own.

The stock MC works fine, just lacks the best "feel". I had to do several panic stops on mine over the years and I wouldn't be here writing this now if it didn't work OK. I had that front tire howling, right on the edge of it's adhesion and about to slide. Can't do any better than that. But, a smaller sized MC does work a bit better, gives better "feel" and modulation. I've gone and put them on both mine now, but it wasn't a pressing change I absolutely needed to do right away. So, your original will work and function just fine. Don't have concerns about using it for the time being. You can then just leisurely shop around for a nice slightly smaller one to replace it. I shopped eBay for both of mine and it did take some time to find nice, reasonably priced used ones. Most were either really beat up or way high priced, or both.

I'll keep checking ebay but if I can't find one I'll grab the 13mm replica MC from mikes I guess, I know it's not 11 or 12 but still better then the stock 14, ill pair the 13mm with some stainless lines and I think it'll be pretty good.
Thanks for the tips and help

I run a 1/2" (12.7mm) on one of mine and quite like it. I have an 11mm on the other. They both work well, giving better "feel", but the 1/2" does so with lots less lever travel.

Any idea what the two plugged holes are here at the front of my right side engine case?

Attachments

• 20201015_191916.jpg
    20201015_191916.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 122
That's from the factory cross-drilling oil passageways. To get one to make a 90° turn, it needs to be drilled from two directions, then the drill hole to the outside plugged.

Another question.... grabbing some new plugs and the current ones are BPR 7ES..... I'm not sure if the caps are stock or not, I've attached a picture. The plug wires seem to have some electrical tape on them so I'm wondering if they were changed. Anyways, I was hoping to buy the 5k NGK caps and buy the BP 7ES plugs but it seems like the BP 7ES have been discontinued? What would be my best cap and plug set up?

Attachments

• 20201030_212105.jpg
    20201030_212105.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
It's best to only have one instance of resistance in the line, so that would be plug cap or plug - but not both. Yes, it seems the BP7ES is not readily available in Canada. If you're going to run the resistor BPR7ES plugs then put a non-resistor plug cap on there. Yours in that pic are not original, it looks like a Bosch resistor cap. But to be sure, measure through it and check it's resistance. If you have to change the caps, NGK makes a nice non-resistor cap, the LZFH .....

yg3iLp9.jpg

Back