Newb looking for advice!

SayBye

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ill admit I'm new to the XS world but not new to bikes, or bobbers for that matter. Went and looked at this bike the other day...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4954213197.html

I love the look of it, but the electrical issues worry me because I have never rewired a bike, nor do I know the extent of the damage caused. I would rewire it doing basic homemade bobber style wiring.

Do you guys think it would need all new components? Rectifier, stator, ignition, etc... Just trying to get an idea of what I could be getting myself into. And he's firm at $1500, opinions on price?

coming from a guy with very minimal handy work. I loved rewiring my bike, however it sucks so I'm re doing it this year :laugh:
You can always ask to fire it up to check components.

How hard is it to buy a chopped bike and insure it in the states?
I know it's hard to get a safety on a chopped bike.

coming from a guy with very minimal handy work. I loved rewiring my bike, however it sucks so I'm re doing it this year :laugh:
You can always ask to fire it up to check components.

How hard is it to buy a chopped bike and insure it in the states?
I know it's hard to get a safety on a chopped bike.
just don't tell them its chopped. let them register it unaltered. Here in Washington state, three of my titles say the bikes weighs 1,850 lbs!

For starters which incarnation is it getting sold ............????.

Been up for 3 weeks so far, usually a good deal goes quick.

Ask him some questions then get back to us with the answers, if your really keen..................Broken ignition stud? what does that mean?..........And how did that poop the wiring and to what degree?

The seller says he's already taking a huge hit at $1500. I can't imagine what for. That's one fine looking piece-of-shit if I ever saw one, lol. I'd pass this one up.

idk....if the whole dam thing wasn't rattle canned black, and had some shine to it, and just needed wires, might be ok.
skull, the first three pictures is where it stands now.

angus67,

Please...we are dealing with a newb here. Would you ride that thing around the block? :bike: For $1,500 you could buy a pristine low mileage runner and a sawzall and destroy it with money left over.

Last edited:
angus67,

Please...we are dealing with a newb here. Would you ride that thing around the block? :bike: For $1,500 you could buy a pristine low mileage runner and a sawzall and destroy it with money left over.
Good point , but I happen to be a member of the sawzall crew. and that thing is already sawzalled.
if the motor has 150 psi comp, offer 900

then there's this one...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4966671959.html

its an older build, it doesn't run either but I don't believe there's much wrong with it, maybe the carbs? I would strip it down, powder coat the frame, go with an original Yamaha logo tank, do away with the rear fender and whatever else that's left red, powder coat it black...

what would you guys offer?

Last edited:
can't ride it away, no more then 1000.

but first you need make judgement calls(kick the bike over and listen), spray starter fluid in air filters etc...

Back